Black History Month is not needed

Black History month is interesting in that many people do not know what exactly they are celebrating. This month is simply not needed because it has lost much of its meaning in modern culture.

A popular argument that many Black History month supporters make is that it is offensive that they have the shortest month in the year, a rebuttal to this by races without a month is that at least there is a month for Black heritage as opposed to theirs.

Black history month has pretty much just been burned into everyone’s mind; it has become a tradition without a purpose. No one can say they do not know of iconic figures like Martin Luther King Jr. or Rosa Parks. These are individuals that elementary students learn; a month dedicated to receiving the same information over and over is not needed.

What people do not realize is that there is pretty much a “month” for just about every race. But what this ultimately does is segregate the many communities of other races.

We do not need a month to celebrate the heritage of one race. The whole race concept is also a sham; we are all one race, the human race. The predicament we are in could easily be solved by unifying all of these heritage month and celebrate human accomplishment. There is no point in singling out one race over another.

Much of the meaning of African heritage has been lost; most of the youth of today would much rather talk about popular black culture. A month with no connection to the youth is hardly necessary. The big reason is because the youth are the more social ones, the ones who talk about the goings on of the world.

In February the last thing a young adult is thinking of is Black history month. The big holiday on peoples mind is obviously Valentine’s Day, which has no relation to Black history in any way. Young adults govern what is “it” in popular culture and from the looks of it, Rosa Parks is not on their mind; there is no use in something the social demographic does not recognize.

Black history month is not only celebrated in the United States of America, but it is of the most significance in this country because the populace is so diverse. Because this country is so dissimilar in it’s population, people are going to butt heads, and with these separate heritage months it further fragments the overall unity.

People should not be treated different than one another. A person in a wheelchair would probably like to be treated the same way as a person who is able to walk. Equality is essential in society. Treating people differently than others can offend on both sides; preferential treatment would make a person feel uncomfortable and it would make the other people feel as if they are being treated unfairly.

Black History is simply not needed in today’s society; it is far detached from what popular culture is. No more do we talk about equal rights the way we did, those days are long forgotten.