Government shutdown is pending

With the current budget expiring on March 4, our country is facing another potential government shutdown. This could prove fatal to our economic recovery, as many public services, as well as many federal employees, will come to a halt. This stalling in our economic progression is due to the Republicans inability to come to a compromise with President Obama’s proposals, thus risking a government shutdown. The Republicans are willing to risk a government shutdown until their demands of cutting $61 billion is met.
President Obama (whom since has inherited the problems our nation is currently facing due to the failed Bush Administration) has proposed bills to free us from the budget deficit that our nation is currently enduring. The President intends to rebuild our country by investing in our nation’s education, innovation, and enabling small businesses to grow and expand into the global market.
However, President Obama’s plans have been stalled due to the reluctance of the Republicans in Congress to accept the proposed bill. Instead of working together to improve our economy, the Republicans are uniting to shut our government down. The Republicans want to take money out of Medicare, out of Medicaid, and out of our country’s educational system. All of these are essential services to the general public and essential to our country’s growth. Our educational system is already crippled from the current budget cuts and cannot withstand another.
If a government shutdown occurs, many federal employees would have their jobs put on hold. That means that they will be sent home, unpaid and must find other means of providing for their family. Public services, such as park services and waste cleanup, would cease to exist. Many national monuments and museums would be closed down, with their workers having to find other means of income. This is reminiscent of the government shutdown of 1995-96 during the Clinton Administration, in which over 1,000,000 employees were suspended and $369.2 million of tourist revenue was lost.
President Obama (looking to avoid all of this) is willing to compromise and cut costs wherever possible, even from programs he cares deeply about.
In his weekly address, President Obama stated, “Just like any family, we must live within our means to make room for the things we absolutely need.” President Obama proposed to cut programs and excessive spending on our defense programs as well as Medicare and Medicaid that are unnecessary for our essential living measures.
“That’s why I’ve called for a freeze on annual domestic spending over the next five years, a freeze that would cut the deficit by more than $400 billion over the next decade,” the President said. This will greatly bring our country out of deficit, more so than the three previous administrations.
“I’m not taking these steps lightly, but I’m taking them because our economic future demands it,” said President Obama.
Like President Obama, Republicans should also take the necessary steps forward to improve our economy and work towards a brighter future. A compromise from both the Democratic and Republican parties is necessary. Each party must work together to bring our country back from a deficit. It’s imperative that these parties make rebuilding our country a priority.