Mesa students rebel against administration

It is no mystery that the economic status of the San Diego Community College District has been bleak for some time now. With the vast number of construction delays, unit price increases and the latest reduction of summer courses, it seems that the SDCCD administration is losing in its economic struggle to stay afloat. Even worse, it appears many students are looking to either jump ship or form a mutiny.

If you’re one to pick up and read random fliers found in our bathrooms here on campus, much like the Mesa Press staff, you might have found what appears to be a spoof letter directed towards SDCCD students both prospective and currently enrolled. The letter, adorned with official district letterhead, details the school’s intentions to install card reading machines in campus restrooms over summer session. Along with these card readers the district would also be instituting a “minimal fee to students who wish to use restroom facilities,” in order to supplement maintenance costs throughout the school year.

The letter itself is obviously a fake and none of its contents should be taken as factual information, however it should not go unnoticed. Despite its satirical undertones and light hearted jabs at the district’s construction budget woes, the letter is an obvious outcry to the administration and community. SDCCD’s current financial plight is placing a heavy burden on its students, and after this year’s numerous announcements of budget-balancing attempts it’s likely many students wouldn’t be surprised to hear that they would be charged to use restroom facilities.

It was jarring enough to hear about the ten dollar unit price increase especially during our country’s current economic crisis, but to then be told that most students would not have summer session available to them for 2011 really pushes the envelope. Class availability in the past couple of years has already decreased as is; so many students depend on intersession to continue the progress of their educational plans. This hinders a vast number of students from staying in tune with their planned educational time-lines.

It is understandable that the district is trying its best to balance the budget to the best of their abilities, but they need to do better it is after all what they’re paid for. The financial burden should not fall so heavily on that of the students. New solutions and avenues need to be looked into or maybe even discovered, whether they lay within the government, the community or what have you. The San Diego Community College District community needs a change for the better; the future is only going to begin to look brighter if we begin lighting the way now.