The day our nation stood stunned, silenced

On Sept. 11, 2001, our nation faced what was largely considered one of its darkest days, as the symbolic twin towers of the World Trade Center came crumbling down at the hand of terrorists.

Without a doubt, the 9/11 attacks were one of the most horrifying national incidents that will remain with us for the rest of our lives. With the 10th anniversary of this tragic event nearing, let us take some time out to reflect and to honor those brave souls we lost.

I remember that day. I was sitting in the front row of my 8th grade U.S History class. My teacher, after receiving a phone call, abruptly stopped his lecture and turned on the television. Then the image of an airplane colliding into the second tower appeared on the screen. I remember my teacher standing there at the front of the room, with such a mortified look on his face, unable to speak a word for the remainder of the class.

It was surreal, like a scene from an action movie. I was unable to comprehend what I saw or what had just happened. I just watched in confusion and shock as the classroom filled up with whispers and fear from my classmates.

Ten years later and our nation is still recovering from that catastrophic incident, and still growing strong.

Events are being held across the nation to honor and remember those lost in the attacks. President Obama will be paying his respects to the families of the victims by attending memorial services in New York. Residents of San Diego County were able to contribute their respect to these victims by attending one of the many memorial events held throughout the county.

Residents of Vista headed down to Faith Lutheran Church at 700 East Bobier Drive for a 24-hour vigil starting at 8:46 a.m. on Sept. 10. The vigil was to honor and remember the sacrifices of the men and women of the police, fire, and EMT personnel.

The annual 9/11 Memorial Softball Tournament was held on Sept. 10, at 3333 Bear Valley Parkway at Kit Carson Park in Escondido. This event was hosted by the Escondido firefighters. The event started at 10 a.m. with the reading of the names of those lost in the tragic incident.

WitKids also held a 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance event at Little Italy’s Amici Park on Sept. 10, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. This was a volunteer event honoring local Special Forces Army Ranger Staff Sgt. Casey J. Grochowiak, who lost his life in Afghanistan.

These were just a few of the many events being held in our community honoring those lost in the tragic event. I hope you had a chance to attend one of these events to pay your respects and to remember that fateful day that unified our diverse country to become one nation.