Odious film regresses social principles

Controversy arose when a recent violent protest in the Middle East caused the death of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens. The anti-Muslim short film “Innocence of Muslims” sparked the protest.

The amateur film depicts the sacred religious figure Muhammad as an idiotic pedophiliac. Being that visual representations of Muhammad are forbidden, this film (from its conception) was a deliberate attack of blasphemy and hate towards the Islamic religion.

This brings into question of to which extent can the First Amendment be used to rationalize one’s opinion until it just becomes pure exploitation. Acts that deface religions, or others in general, should not be tolerated.

Inalienable rights given by the U.S. Constitution should be treasured and valued rather than be used to degrade and demoralize others of different ideals, especially if it pertains to a sacred stature such as religion. It is quite arrogant to disregard other values and beliefs just because they’re different.

All are entitled to their religious beliefs and practices, and these beliefs and practices should be respected. Most religions have a common ideal or purpose: to provide its followers with inner peace, salvation, and enlightenment to guide them through the day and on to the next. Religion provides faith (which the most important value of a religion) to those willing to believe and accept its practices.

With that in mind, to attack a religion is pitiful, disgraceful, and un-American. The populous is very diverse across the nation, and even more so worldwide, so therefore there will be different radical ideals. But rather than to disprove or dispute other religions, or even trying to convert others, let these religions be in peace, so that those following will be have a peace of mind.

It’s no secret that there are still people that hold prejudicial views, not only of religion, but also of race and even wealth. It’s prominent globally. People are too focused on what is different to see the similarities and the common goal between practices. This is exemplified by the finger-pointing and childish bickering as of late between the Democratic and Republican parties.

Let’s set differences aside and concentrate on what’s important, which is the betterment of the country and society as a whole, ridding of detrimental views and standards. There is no justification in defiling a religion or its figures or ideals, or anyone for that matter. Actions of that nature stem from pure ignorance and stupidity.