47 Percent Comments Cause Backlash for Mitt Romney

A controversial video of Mitt Romney speaking at a fundraiser in Boca Raton, Fla was leaked to the press recently. Disparaging the 47 percent of Americans as victims who are dependent on the government to take care of them, unaware he was being recorded.

“There are 47 percent of the people…who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it,” said Romney.

The 47 percent of Americans that Romney is referring to are made up of students, the elderly, military service members. The working poor who do not pay federal income taxes.

Romney never had to work multiple jobs. Earning billions in private equity managing,, instilling massive payroll and benefit cuts, and selling the companies for a higher profit. Romney has no idea what the lives of these 47 percent of people are like, dismissing them as victims looking for government handouts. America is a diverse nation comprised of all socio-economic levels, including hardworking people who work multiple jobs and don’t have enough money to make ends meet. We need a president who is going to understand the lives of all Americans.

“My job is not to worry about those people, I’ll never convince them, they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives,” said Romney.

The idea that the president would write off nearly half of his citizens as irresponsible and ‘not his job’ is ridiculous and insulting. As Americans, everyone should be entitled to health care, food, and housing like Romney mentioned, not just those who can afford to pay income tax.

When President Obama won in 2008, 47 percent of the American people voted for John McCain. Although they didn’t vote for Obama he was going to hear their voices and do everything in his power to be their president.

“…One of the things I’ve learned as president is you represent the entire country,” said Obama.

Obama has the right idea; he understands that a president must be involved in the lives of all citizens, not just the ones in better economic situations.

Romney is out of touch by speaking his true feelings with his billionaire supporters. Having written off 47 percent of the people he wants to lead as lazy and irresponsible is not what a president should be doing. The American people should be suspicious as to what Romney says publicly as we have seen that he changes his verbiage quite often.