Mesa defeats City in rivalry game

Mesa defeats City in rivalry game

Another rivalry game between Mesa and City College is in the books and Mesa has come out victorious. The men’s soccer team left City frustrated, as they were unable to score on the tenacious defense of the Olympians.

The game ended in a 2-0 shutout on Mesa’s home field. The only two goals scored in the game came from newcomer Andres Liera. Liera scored his first goal in the first half when he fired one past the goalkeeper off an assist from Anthony Rodriguez.

“I made a quick run to the first post and beat the goalie,” said Liera. “It didn’t take much, I just had to tap it in.”

Mesa goalkeeper Gama Vazquez tallied up his third shutout in a row. He commended the team for their collected efforts on defense.

“We knew they were going to come out hard because it is such a rivalry,” explained Vazquez. “Not only I got the shutout, but all my teammates got the shutout.”

The team is comprised of many new faces, with only three returning players. They communicated effectively against City and took control of the game in the first half. Mesa kept possession of the ball early and quickly dismantled any attacks that City tried to put together. Striker Jon Carrao kept the Knights on their heels as he cut through their defense threatening to score at any time.

“We had to come out quick because we have struggled to get started early,” said Corrao.

The City head coach fired his team up at halftime after having a few choice words with a referee about calls that did not sway their way. The Knights came out with more intensity in the second half as they put together numerous attacks and kept the ball away from their goalkeeper. Mesa struggled at the start of the second half but the defense stepped up to close the game out strong.

“In the beginning we rammed on the gas pedal, but we kind of took our foot off of it,” said defender John Crowell.

The final goal sealed the game in the second half when Mathew Moreira sent a perfect cross to Liera that left the ball in the back of the net. City had been deflated and their players struggled to keep composure, as they argued with one another in the closing minutes. The game had slipped away from the Knights as Mesa snatched another victory to keep their playoff hopes alive.