Eyes on Olympians

Eyes on Olympians

Student-athlete is a word every college athlete hears at one point or another. It is a term preached by coaches of every sport, yet it’s still one of the hardest concepts to grasp for many. There is no doubt that being a successful student-athlete requires excellent time management skills along with a keen understanding of how to organize priorities.

One Mesa Olympian who understands the type of commitment and dedication it takes to be both successful in the classroom and off the field is sophomore safety Phillip Fowler. Fowler is gearing up to enter his second season on the Mesa football team and the thirteenth overall. Fowler’s talents extend to the classroom as well where he has maintained a 3.1 GPA.

This is excellent considering the commitment college football takes. He does produce on the field too, recording 47 total tackles (25 solo) in only seven games played for second best on the team.

Fowler has emerged as one of the leaders on defense and is constantly making his presence felt by opposing teams. With long strides and a motor that never stops, Fowler has a nose for the football.

As a strong safety, Fowlers’s position is critical, as often times he is the last line of defense between the endzone. But his job duties don’t stop there because his services are also needed to slow down the running game, something Phillip prides himself in doing.

“Obviously it’s always good to get a turnover but I like to make my presence felt by being as physical as possible,” explained Fowler.

Not only does Fowler spend time outside of class studying, he has logged countless hours in the gym training to become bigger, stronger and faster to be prepared for the upcoming season.

Even with such a demanding schedule, Fowler never lets his focus stray from his goal which is to make it to the next level and get his degree paid for. Often over-looked in the cases of many successful student-athletes is the leadership these types of individuals provide for the rest of the team.

“Don’t talk about it, be about it, lead by example,” explained Fowler about being successful. And that’s just the kind of attitude coaches are looking to get a hold of.

It doesn’t come without sacrifice and slow weekends but that’s just the kind of mentality it takes to achieve a scholarship to a four-year institution and get schooling paid for.

It’s quite clear that No. 21 of the Mesa Olympians is headed on the right path, not just on the field but off of it as well. From tackling quarterbacks and running backs to tackling down a scholarship, Fowler is a prime candidate to offer this advice to others, “Just make sure you’re a student-athlete above it all.”