Olympians take the coyotes down

Olympians take the coyotes down

Mesa women’s volleyball team had a great victory of 25-10, 25-13, 25-8 making it a 3-0 win for the Olympian’s game against Cuyamaca Coyotes on Oct. 6.

Starting off the game right, they gained an early lead of 8-6 in the first game. Outside hitter and defensive specialist Bree Johnson serves and opposite Laura Plumb team up making it a 9-6 lead. The girls seemed to effortlessly score points in the first game.

The Cuyamaca Coyotes seemed to give points away by making boundary mistakes left and right. Outside hitter Karina Heredia had many good spikes in the first game, and the score goes quickly up to 23-10, and then a bad serve for the coyotes brings them up to game point 24-10. The girls easily scored the point and won the first game.

After a quick pep talk between matches, the girls seemed very energetic and excited to get into the second game.

The score becomes 2-2 when both teams make points, and then, libero and defensive specialist Ali Loepfe does a nice serve, after a short volley back, outside hitter and opposite Kelsey Magness spikes and brings Mesa back in the lead with a 3-2 score. Two more out of bounds mistakes for Cuyamaca and the score becomes 8-4 very quickly.

With many good serves by Plumb, and Heredia, the Olympians further their lead to a score of 12-8. After numerous points awarded to the Olympians for out of bounds penalties of the other team, the girls get the score up to 21-12.

An unsuccessful serve from Johnson turns the score to 21-13, but a couple more easily scored points from Mesa brings up the score to another game point 24-13. Plumb spikes the ball and wins the game for the team 25-13.

After a seemingly upbeat pep talk from head coach, Kim Lester, the girls seem incredibly motivated to win the game. The girls spread out on the court and wait to take their third victory of the night.

When asked in a later interview with Coach Lester she states, “I thought Brittany Burgess had a stellar match. She didn’t play the first game, we started her in the second and she had a huge presence on the court. She set well and made good decisions and she served tough.”

Proving the coaches statement, Setter Brittany Burgess serves up the ball and instantly and it hits Cuyamaca’s court bringing the score to 23-7. The girls score one more point and bring it to their last game point. Heredia serves, Cuyamaca comes back with the ball but Magness does it again, and spikes the ball effortlessly winning the final game 25-8.

Cuyamaca has two unsuccessful serves and the score becomes 4-1 almost instantly. After a few quick points the girls score and they are off to yet another early lead, 6-2. Cuyamaca is up to serve, libero and defensive specialist Amanda Harris volleys the ball back quickly and Cuyamaca loses control of the ball bouncing it back in their own court bringing the score to 9-5. Many out of bounds mistakes from Cuyamaca and great spikes from Magness bring the score up to 15-7. A combination of multiple out of bounds from Cuyamaca and great spikes from Magness, the girls easily turn the score to 21-7. Burgess serves up the ball and instantly and it hits Cuyamaca’s court bringing the score to 23-7.

The girls score one more point and bring it to their last game point. Karina Heredia serves, Cuyamaca comes back with the ball but Magness does it again and spikes the ball, effortlessly winning the final game 25-8.

A 3-0 victory for the Mesa Olympians women’s volleyball team on Wednesday night was definitely a success for the girls.

Coach Lester was also very proud, she states, “I’m most proud of the TEAM. We did what we set out to do. As a team we hit .370, had 16 service aces, only 5 errors and 12 blocks.”