Men’s tennis defeats Imperial Valley

If there is a team on the Mesa College campus that should be reckoned with, it’s the Men’s Tennis team. On March 1, the Mesa Men’s Tennis, team faced Imperial Valley College and what was possibly their 22nd straight Conference win; and they did not disappoint. This conference win brings their record 6-1 overall for the season.
This season has high expectations as the team plans to capture its 3rd straight conference championship. Head Coach Michael Hootner, who also is the head coach for Women’s Basketball, is very excited for his team’s chances. “Best team we’ve had since I’ve been here,” said Hootner.
This year, sophomore and 2010 PCAC Singles Champion Alex Nichols headlines the team. Nichols, who was also named the 2010 PCAC Player of the Year, had by far the toughest match, which easily was the longest of the day. He too, is excited for the season ahead. “[The season looks] good, it looks really good. I think we are stronger than last year…. we are definitely stronger than last year.” Nichols looks to defend his title and grab a scholarship in the process.
The men resume their season against conference foe Mt. San Jacinto College on March 10. The Olympians then begin to defend their title April 14 in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference Tournament.
Hootner is in the process of getting his players recruited and gets a lot of help from the Internet. Most, if not all, of the matches are streamed live at justin.tv/mhootner, just as Hootner does with the women’s basketball team. You can also watch previous matches in the archives.