Mesa football ends 16-year drought against Grossmont

The Mesa Colleges Olympians practice for their upcoming game against Southwestern College at Merrill Douglas Stadium on Tuesday, September 6.   Photo Credit: Nicholas Santiago/The Mesa Press
Nicholas Santiago
The Mesa College’s Olympians practice for their upcoming game against Southwestern College at Merrill Douglas Stadium on Tuesday, September 6. Photo Credit: Nicholas Santiago/The Mesa Press

The San Diego Mesa College football team captured a thrilling 33-30 victory over the Grossmont College Griffins on Sept. 6, breaking a 16 year losing streak to the Griffins.

Coming back from a dismal 1-9 season last year, running back Chyl Robinson (no. 25) had every right to be fired up after the game.

“It definitely motivated me more knowing that we hadn’t beat this team in 16 years. That streak had to end eventually though so why not this year?” said Robinson.

This demoralizing stat didn’t seem to faze the Olympians. They came out focused and set the tone right away.

On the opening drive of the game Mesa’s Jonathan Archie (no. 35) sacked Grossmont’s quarterback and forced a fumble, which Mesa recovered. That set up a two yard rushing touchdown by Robinson and Mesa quickly jumped ahead 7-0 with 11:36 left in the first quarter.

Less than a minute later Mesa’s defense forced another turnover when defensive back Ray Herring (no. 3) intercepted a pass to record his first pick of the season. Herring’s interception led to a four yard rushing touchdown by quarterback Matt Neault (no. 12). Grossmont blocked the ensuing extra point, but the Olympians were hyped, momentum was shifting their way and they took a 13-0 lead.

The Mesa College Football team stretching to begin practice for their game against Southwestern College at Merrill Douglas Stadium on Tuesday, September 6. Photo Credit: Nicholas Santiago/The Mesa Press

Grossmont struck back on their next drive when quarterback Mike Karls (no. 13) scrambled for an 11 yard rushing touchdown, cutting Mesa’s lead 13-7.

A scary moment occurred toward the end of the first when starting quarterback Neault took a big hit and was down and out. He injured his arm and didn’t return to the game.

A 30 yard field goal put mesa up 16-7 and that was the score at halftime.

Mesa picked up right where they left off in the third quarter. They returned the kickoff to start the half all the way to Grossmont’s 48 yard line.

The very next play quarterback Jake Marrion (no. 15), who came in for injured Neault, hooked up with receiver Skyler Andrews (no. 80) for a 48 yard touchdown pass.

This gave the Olympians a commanding 23-7 lead in the third quarter.

Grossmont tried to chip away at Mesa’s lead when they settled for a 29 yard field goal, but the Griffins were still down 23-10.

The Olympians showed a little creativity later in the quarter when they scored off a trick play. It was a 13 yard reverse that put them up 30-10 with 4:38 left in the third.

Although the Olympians had a comfortable lead the game was far from over. The Griffins weren’t going to just roll over. Mesa and Grossmont kept battling.

With 1:17 left in the third, Grossmont’s Karls scrambled yet again for a 17 yard rushing touchdown. The score was 30-17 going into the fourth quarter. Grossmont would score again after a Mesa fumble, cutting Mesa’s lead to just seven.

Mesa added to their lead with a clutch 44 yard field goal, putting them up 33-23.

Down with just 1:23 left in the fourth, Karls continued doing what he did all game which was scramble and make a play. He scored from 11 yards out.

Mesa recovered the ensuing onside kick and ran out the clock from there. As the final whistle blew Mesa players rushed the field in triumph. They beat the Grossmont Griffins for the first time in 16 years with a final score of 33-30.