Womens volleyball upholds tradition of excellence

The reputation that San Diego Mesa College women’s volleyball team upholds is by far one of the best. Winning last years season the Mesa’s women’s volleyball team earned 14-8 overall and 10-2 in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference. This well earned score granted them with second place in the conference following Grossmont in first.

Due to coach Lester’s experience and history she expects nothing less than success from her volleyball team. “I really have to say this is a really good freshman class, I can look at this roster and tell you something great about each one.” said Head coach Kim Lester.

The players are trained and developed to excel and prevail. To most students volleyball is just a game; To Mesa College’s Lady Olympians the sport of volleyball is more than a game; it’s a runway to life. In this sport they develop teamwork, they train their bodies to be instrumental, and treat one another’s injuries to strengthen the teams personal growth. Coach Lester is a cauldron of persistence, motivation, perseverance, and leadership molding her players to succeed in life as well as the game.

Playing such an aggressive sport can be tough, discouraging or even stressful. The key is to cooperate and communicate with the team players, listen to the coach and strive for what every athlete desires, the championship title. One outgoing player Missy Glassett believes that along side of her fellow player they’re going as far as “Winning state baby!” This should not be difficult considering Coach Lester trained Mesas’ “Super Star” of last year. The Lady Olympian gained this title for her athletics, academics, and team spirit.

With a dedicated coach alongside a cooperating team this season to come is much looked forward to.” I think we’re so good and too many people are missing it, everyone should go.” said Bree Johnson.  In order to completely obliterate all rivals this season, Coach Lester and her worthy team is all that’s necessary to posses.  “Kendra Mendicino, she is a very experienced and well skilled volleyball player. I think she is also going to make a very big impact for us as well.” said Coach Lester.  Altogether Mesas’ WVB team is significantly trained and well experienced.

Karlee Anderson a transfer from Dixie State College is believed to bring leadership, skill, and experience to the table.  Aside from practice and experience player Jeana Holman has her own way to prep before every match, “I dougie before every game.”