Talented coach Lester leads volleyball team to success

Lester’s knowledge and experience with sports has captivated and motivated many. She has been playing sports since around she was six years old.

Energized and experienced the spot light shines on Coach Kimberly Lester.

Many of you though, have probably not have the chance to meet this amazingly talented coach and why she is admired by many. This is the opportunity to find out.

She has been coaching Volleyball at San DiegoMesaCollegefor ten years now.

The sports journey began with softball. She played softball year-round and was sure that she wanted to play softball in college.

During high school two coaches approached her and mentioned considering volleyball or basketball because of her height. Soon after, she found herself playing all three sports through out high school. “I played all three sports but fell in love with the fast paced sport of volleyball,” says Lester

When senior year came around Lester was offered both softball and volleyball scholarships. She decided to aim towards volleyball because of the excitement and because it was something that she could improve on.

After college was over several reasons made her unable to play, such as injuries, coaching, and finishing her Master’s.

As a previous athlete Lester has developed several methods that she knows will lead the team to success. “I expect a lot out of my team,” says Lester “they are here because they want to be here and I expect they give 100% each time they step on the court. I preach team first and feel nothing replaces hard work! Effort, team work, pride and all working for a common goal! We learn the physical as well as the mental game of volleyball.”

This season the team is small but with a ton of potential and energy. “We have more depth than previous season’s and a group that really wants to win!” says Lester. The team has already faced some tough teams which have shaped them into the stronger team they are now.

“Grossmont PCAC Champions are definitely the team to beat” says Lester. During the first match Mesa College was victorious. They will face each other again Nov.4 atMesaCollege. “Huge match would love tons of fans!”

Coaching volleyball Lester takes pride in all of her accomplishments on and off the court. The people that surround her admire and respect her.

Outside of school Lester loves being around her family and her four year old daughter Jaden. She also enjoys watching movies, working out, and going to the beach.

“I love that I can still be a part of a team,” says Lester “I love being a part of something that we all believe in, I love watching our team compete and leaving it all on the court. I love that I love my job! I love that I help student-athletes move on to the next level, I love pushing athletes to be the best they can be on and off the court and most of all I wouldn’t be a good coach if I didn’t LOVE TO WIN!”