A Wednesday Night Block Party on Mesa College Drive

The Mesa College Lady Olympians defeated Saddleback College on September 5 behind 12 blocks for a straight sets victory 25-16,25-18,25-17.

The opening game was close throughout with several ties and lead changes. Coach Kim Lester explained, “ We came out nervous and hesitant but eventually our serving and passing gave us the edge.” The Lady Olympians took the lead at 17-14 and won the first game 25-16.

The second frame continued the trend of a close match until Mesa came up with timely blocks on the defensive side at a consistent rate. Coach Lester says it is something the team focuses on constantly everyday in practice.

“The keys are team discipline, proper posture, excellent footwork and pressing to the backwall,” said Lester.

Several big shots allowed the Lady Olympians to take control. Spikes were the main course of the day and from the looks of things, Saddleback didn’t enjoy the taste. Freshman Bethany Nosko had two emphatic kills that changed the tide in Mesa’s favor. A 25-18 win in set two gave the lady Olympians the upper hand in the match.

The third set began like the previous two until the lady Olympians defense came up with big plays. On the offensive end, Mesa began to separate itself with an array of power. The First spike of the game was by sophomore Alexandra Mootry that took the score to 10-7. Freshman Sadie Sparks then proceeded to take over from there with a series of spikes. Coach Lester feels that Sparks is a special player. “ Sadie Sparks is a go to player and is someone we need on an everyday basis.”

The offensive show increased the lady Olympians lead to 21-11. The contest ended with another block that put Saddleback away for good at 25-17.

The victory was a good start to the Lady Olympians defense of their Pacific Coast Championship. Coach Lester hopes this year’s team can equal the success of last year’s.

“Our team chemistry is essential to our success and to remember that we have one common goal,” said Coach Lester.

The goal is to raise another banner and repeat as champions. If the talent they showed on Wednesday night is any indication, Olympians won’t just be crowned in London.