Mesa softball drops game to Southwestern on Sophomore Day

Ambria+Guye+squaring+up+the+pitch+hoping+to+put+San+Diego+Mesa+back+on+the+board.+
JOHNATHAN SCOTT
Ambria Guye squaring up the pitch hoping to put San Diego Mesa back on the board.

The San Diego Mesa softball team started out the season ranked as one of the Top 20 teams in the state. The Olympians however, have been inconsistent this season as they stepped onto the diamond for Sophomore Day on April 20. Despite the better record of 13-11-1, the Olympians fell to the to the Southwestern College Jaguars 11-5.

It was a game that was close for the first few innings until Southwestern (4-27) eventually broke it open in the sixth inning, giving Mesa the loss.

The Olympians were coming off a two-win streak achieved by defeating East Los Angeles College 8-0 and 7-4 in a doubleheader the week before. Mesa ultimately could not continue this win streak and had a tough day in all aspects of the game. As sophomore pitcher Arianna Izaguirre stepped onto the mound for another pitching opportunity, things were not looking good. Izaguirre surrendered three runs in the first inning, with one run coming off an RBI single, the second run coming from a throwing error, and the third one coming from an infield single allowing the Jaguars to take an early lead.

The Olympians did not dwell on those runs for too long as they responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the first, when a passed ball allowed third baseman Carissa Topolinski to score and a sacrifice-fly from second baseman Arianna Salazar allowed for center fielder Hannah Anderson to score. With the score 3-2 heading into the second inning, this game had the potential to be close, that is until Southwestern got their bats going and broke the game wide open.

The Jaguars continued to pile on the runs from that point on, scoring 8 more runs, only going down in order in the fifth inning. Southwestern’s offense was fueled by center fielder Natalie Sims, who went 5-5 at the plate including an RBI, and pitcher Katalina Contreras, who went 2-4 at the plate including a 2-run home run and an RBI double while also only allowing 4 runs through 7 innings pitched.

“Games like this just make us hungrier for the next one,” said sophomore first baseman Adrianna Dorame. “It is definitely motivation and a big refocus, we definitely need to come into the next one fully focused and I think that was our downfall today.”

Mesa tried to stay with the Jaguars in the third inning when Anderson hit a double to the gap allowing for Topolinski to score and get Mesa to 3-2. Mesa also got another run back in the fourth inning when designated player Paige Pallamary grounded into a fielder’s choice, allowing for Salazar to score their fourth run of the game. This would be the end of Mesa’s scoring until the bottom of the seventh when Ambria Guye ripped a two-out double into the gap hoping to keep the game alive. Anderson rounded third base in hopes of beating the throw and give Mesa another run but was ultimately tagged out causing the game to end in dramatic fashion. There were mixed emotions about losing the game on Sophomore Day but there was still some joy on the field  as the sophomores were honored after the game.

“It is coming to an end definitely but there is no other team I would rather be playing for right now, we are having a great time,” said sophomore catcher Andrea Wright.

With only seven games remaining in their season, head coach Jaclyn Guidi acknowledged that the team needs to remain focused if they are going to have a chance to make a run in the playoffs this season.

“We are like right there, so we just have to finish strong, and destiny will tell if we get in or not,” Guidi said. “Obviously the goal is to win every game, and everybody told me we need to win every game and I agreed because that is what we are going into but we need to take it one game at a time.”

Mesa’s next home game is against Palomar College on April 21.