Illicit affairs in “Married Life”

Illicit affairs in Married Life

“It’ll be hard to build your happiness upon the unhappiness of somebody else.”

Those words are uttered out of narrator Richard Langley (Pierce Brosnan) and lie in the heart of Ira Sachs’ “Married Life.” This 1940s drama is about four people and the things they’ll do to be happy. The way all of them approach that plateau is defining of who they really are. With relatable issues, solid acting and cinematic throwback nostalgia, Sachs takes us on a journey and makes us question our own level of happiness.

On the surface, Harry (Chris Cooper) and Pat (Patricia Clarkson) look like they have the perfect marriage. They look like they genuinely love each other, are always there for one another and never get into fights. Looking deeper, we find out this marriage isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.

Harry wants to leave Pat for the younger and more emotionally loving Kay (Rachel McAdams). But as he discusses this with his best friend Richard, he feels that a divorce would devastate Pat, leaving her in rubble if Harry ever left her. So with his own reasoning, he conjures up a plan to kill Pat by poisoning her digestive medicine.

Here’s the kicker, upon seeing Kay, Richard, a narcissist and womanizer for many years, feels like she is the one. A woman has never captivated him this much and makes him believe that Kay could be the person he settles down with, even if it means that he’ll have to hurt his best friend in the process.

It’s interesting how Sachs decided to film this picture. Dealing with issues like murder, affair, seduction, love and betrayal, Sachs tells the story as a character piece. He infuses some noir reminiscent of older films like “Double Indemnity.” He also interjects some black comedy in a subtle manner. Another part of the film feels melodramatic, invoking lots of emotion to make us sympathize with the decisions they are going to make. Yet in the end, this is a character-driven movie and they are the ones that will dictate how their lives will go on.

What’s also clever is Sachs elects to tell the story with Richard as his narrator. If Harry, Pat or Kay were telling the story, it would’ve been all too familiar. With Richard, he tells things the way he sees it but he also has an effect on these three people. Most of the time, if a narrator speaks we accept it as fact. We can’t do the same with Richard because he has something at stake.

Character-driven films work best when the actors are on top of their games. All four of them do a stellar job.

Cooper plays Harry as a man that’s sure of himself yet is dying inside because of the decision he makes. We feel the pain that he goes through and can’t help but to sympathize with the decision he’s going to make.

Clarkson’s role is the least detailed yet brings something new to the table as a housewife giving her husband unconditional love.

Brosnan is trying to shed himself away from his Bond persona and it does help for him to be in movies like these. He gives Richard a lot of charm and slyness to a man wanting to court his best friend’s love.

McAdams does a good job as the innocent woman both Harry and Richard love yet only one can end up with her.

It’s a great quote that Richard says because it makes us question the validity of the statement. Truly can someone find happiness while making the other feel all sad and depressed? Is the only way to love someone is to hurt the other person you love? Questions like this are posed to every character in “Married Life” and it’s gratifying to see the answers unfold.