“Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is anything but forgettable

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is anything but forgettable

Judd Apatow and his team have constantly defied the odds, making romantic comedies enjoyable for guys. “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is no exception. With some of the usual grotesque humor, a romantic love story and some witty dialogue, “How I Met Your Mother” co-star Jason Segel and director Nicholas Stroller bring forth a film that is as good, if not better, as Apatow’s “The 40 Year Old Virgin.”

Peter Bretter (Jason Segel) looks like he has his life on track. He’s a composer for the hit TV show “Crime Scene: Scene of the Crime.” He also happens to be dating the star of the show Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) for the last five years. After she returns from a trip, Sarah breaks up with Peter, leaving him to cry like a baby for weeks. With everything around reminding him of Sarah, Peter decides that going to Hawaii would be a good thing to clear his head.

Once he arrives at the hotel, Peter bumps into Sarah but this time, she isn’t by herself. Instead, she’s out on vacation with her new rocker boyfriend Aldous Snow (Russell Brand). The only salvation for this trip is that the hotel receptionist Rachel (Mila Kunis) and her friends can show Peter a good time and get him to forget about Sarah.

Like all of Apatow’s productions, there is a good amount of crude jokes. What will stand out among the crowd is the male nudity on display, all of it from Segel. There’s a shock value to it but also makes us laugh. There are a few glimpses of Bell and Kunis but are tame to what we usually expect from women and movies of this stature. Most people aren’t used to male nudity on screen but Apatow and company are adamant to de-synthesize us to the penis.

Stroller and Segel do a good job at combining crude humor with the romantic genre. It feels like it verges into “Sleepless in Seattle” territory but then an abundance of sex or drug jokes come in to shake things up. None of these jokes are new but when done right, it is hilarious and touching.

What makes this film as memorable as “The 40 Year Old Virgin” is the fact that all the three main characters aren’t one-dimensional. Peter is a slouch and becomes a big baby after he gets dumped, yet his character and Segel’s performance keeps Peter on even keel. Out of the leading guys in Apatow’s films, Peter is the one most guys can relate with.

Sarah could’ve been the standard girl that dumps our guy in despair. Instead, Bell gives Sarah a little human touch, just enough to make us sympathize with her situation. But when she needs to be a bitch, she does so with some flair.

Kunis is the most important person in the film. She brings a certain sexiness, comedic knowledge and charm as Rachel. She sells us that Rachel can make Peter forget his troubles, no matter how lousy his conditions is.

There are also notable recurrences from the Apatow gang. Paul Rudd plays a doped out surfer, Bill Hader is Peter’s not so loving stepbrother and Jonah Hill is a waiter with an obsession (or man-crush, take your pick) on Aldous.

What Apatow is doing is truly remarkable. Directors have tried and failed miserably at making romantic comedies good enough to get guys spending $10 without hesitation. “The 40 Year Old Virgin,” “Knocked Up” and now “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” are examples that when done right, mixing crude humor with a touch of romance can be another formula to make romantic comedies.