Iron Man slams the competition to a grinding halt

Marvel Studios disappointed last summer with flops like “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer” and the financially successful but incredibly idiotic “Spider-Man 3.” So for the summer of 2008, Jon Favreau give us the highly anticipated “Iron Man.”

The movie starts off in Afghanistan where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) has finished showing a demonstration to the Army about his latest arms weapon, the Jericho missile. He makes conversation with some soldiers in their humvee making their way back to the base and next thing you know, their vehicle and backup have been ambushed.

A series of flashbacks follows, showing us a glimpse of who and what Stark does for a living. He’s a womanizer, he loves booze and he’s one of the smartest people you’ll ever see. We are then introduced to some of the closest people surrounding his life. Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) is the secretary that does everything he asks. His best friend Jim Rhodes (Terrence Howard) works for the military that purchases Stark’s weapons. Last is Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges), the second-in-command at Stark Industries, who also worked for Stark’s dad when he owned the company.

The story comes back with Stark in a cave held captive. Barring injuries, he now must wear an electromagnet on his chest because of shrapnel stuck in his body. Without the electromagnet, the shrapnel will seek out his heart and kill him.

The terrorist leader Raza (Faran Tahir) demands Stark to build him a Jericho missile or he will be killed. With the help of another captive, Yinsen (Shaun Toub) and Stark use the material given to them and builds a bulletproof suit filled with fire torches, missiles and a launching mechanism. Iron Man is born.

Favreau has added some different elements to update the comic book version, particularly how Iron Man’s origins are rooted to Afghanistan, and not Vietnam, as in the comics. He follows the same path as Christopher Nolan did in “Batman Begins.” He doesn’t assume that you know who Iron Man is and builds the superhero from scratch. Favreau creates the mystique and doesn’t rely on the audience to know of it.

As with all superhero movies, the lead is what makes or breaks the film. Christopher Reeve made Superman an immortal icon. Nicolas Cage disgraced his presence as the Ghost Rider. Robert Downey Jr. couldn’t be more perfectly cast as Stark. He lets his personality known, whether it’s his charm, wit, or arrogance for everything around him, and does so with a sense of humor. He makes Stark the billionaire everyone wishes to be.

The supporting actors around Downey Jr. aren’t as defined as Stark, but neither do they disappoint. The verbal jabbing between Stark and Rhodes keep things light. There is a hint of romance between Stark and Potts but doesn’t go beyond that. The internal battle between Stark and Obadiah for what their company should do keep things mysterious.

It’s hard to watch this film and not discuss the special effects. Not only are they first-rate, they aren’t overdone. It’s cool to see Favreau incorporate the effects into the film, whether it’s the epic battle scenes or when Stark is working out the kinks to his armor suit. One worry was that the CGI would overtake a film of this magnitude. It’s the opposite. The effects are there to enhance the story, not propel it.

If people are looking for the first great action movie this year, “Iron Man” is it. The action is engaging and entertaining but also has the backbone of a good story. Building upon Tony Stark is something people will relish on for sequels to come (Favreau has said that this is the first of a trilogy). Unlike last year’s blockbusters, “Iron Man” is much more than a popcorn movie. It is one of the best superhero movies to date.

To read more movie reviews during the summer, visit http://jngodvdreviews.blogspot.com/