San Diego’s Top Breweries

San Diegos Top Breweries

There are 31 operating brewhouses in San Diego, according to the San Diego Brewers Guild.yes, we have one of those. Here is the lowdown on where to get the best beer, food, and atmosphere. All of these breweries also have plenty to offer the under 21 crowd.

Stone Brewery

Stone Brewery’s only location is in Escondido in an unmarked building in a business park. On September 30, you can enjoy Beer University: Lagers. For $20 all participants join Head Brewer Mitch Steele for a 90 minute lager lesson and samples from around the world. They feature fun events and giveaways weekly, all of which are listed on their website at www.stoneworldbistro.com.

The owners of this brewery take pride in using only organic, fresh, and local products, so you know you are getting the best. Their entrees range from about $15 to $28 and are all designed to be paired wonderfully with one of their beers (such as Stone Pale Ale, Arrogant Bastard Ale, or Green Flash). Their most popular entrée is the Beer Mac N Cheese. It is made with Mike Stones Smoked Porter & Garlic Beer Cheese with sun dried tomatoes, basil, and sausage. You can enjoy your visit inside, and see where the beer is actually made, or outside on their patio near the fountains and gardens.

Karl Strauss

Karl Strauss has six locations all over Southern California. They are known for beers such as Karl Strauss Amber Lager, Red Trolley Ale, Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen, and Stargazer I.P.A. The suggested pairings for these beers are anything from their Brewhouse Filet, Beer Battered Fish n Chips, to the Chicken Mango Salad or the Drunken Shrimp. They have a very wide selection of both beer and food all of which is very reasonably priced; ranging from a burger at $9 to quality filet mignon at $29.

Be sure to check out Karlfest on Oct. 4th in Costa Mesa which promotes Karl Strauss beer and local music, with proceeds going to the Surfrider Foundation. Karlfest is a self-proclaimed “SoCal Oktoberfest.” Presale tickets are $15 ($20 at the door) and include five beer samples, therefore prepare to be carded. The event will run from noon to 4pm at the O.C. Karl Strauss location and will be hosting the bands Satisfaction, Aushua, and The Union Line. Sample all of this new local music online at www.karlstrauss.com.

Pizza Port

Boasting “tasty grub and grog,” Pizza Port has a lot to offer college students. Located in Solana Beach and Carlsbad, they typify a beach boozing hot spot, so be prepared for a crowd. For $15, you can enjoy a personal pan pizza (either original or “non-wimpy”) and a cold glass of beer. The California Honey Ale comes highly recommended as it is slightly higher in alcohol content and uses smooth California honey. All of their beers pair really well with their chart topping pizzas. Pizza Port also offers appetizers such as salads, chicken wings, and the delicious Portzel (a beer crust pretzel with garlic, basil, cheese, oregano, and tomatoes). For more menu items, refer to www.pizzaport.com.

Their next event will be the 12th Annual Strong Ale Festival on December 5th and 6th in Carlsbad. They will be featuring over 60 beers all of which have over an 8% alcohol content. Tickets are $25 (only available at the door) and include eight samples and a commemorative glass. Additional samples are $1 each.

San Diego Brewing Co.

“Fresh brew, fine food” is their slogan. This sports bar is located one exit south of Mesa, on Friars Road. San Diego Brewing Co. takes pride in the fact that their menu is trans-fat free. They serve all-American type food along with some house specials such as the well known California Burrito, Teriyaki Chicken, and Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta. They brew seven signature beers in small batches and feature a new beer each month. This month you can try the bitter, citrus flavored Indian Pale Ale.

This brewery is the only one that serves up breakfast. On Sunday morning stop in to enjoy steak n’ eggs, French toast, or a breakfast burrito with a Bloody Mary, a bubbling Mimosa, or an early morning beer and watch the football game.

During Monday Night Football, customers can get a pint of beer and a Fire Dog or two fish tacos for just $5-$6! Every Wednesday night from 7-10pm, spice up your week and go to Wing Night. They have discounted wings ranging from hot to “suicidal.” For the brave, try the Russian Roulette, which is an order of 20 hot wings with two suicide wings randomly mixed in. Be sure to have a beer or a fire extinguisher in hand once you dig in. For a list of all their monthly events, go to http://sandiegobrewing.com.

BJ’s

This family friendly brewery has seven beers on tap throughout the year at all of their SoCal locations (La Jolla, La Mesa, and Balboa) along with seasonal selections. If choosing one beer proves to be difficult, order the beer sampler, which includes a generous sample of all seven of their beers ranging from a light blonde ale to a dark lager. Their inexpensive menu consists of delicious chicken salads, unique pizzas, tasty pasta, halibut fish tacos, burgers, parmesan crusted chicken, and almost anything else you can think of.

Always save room for a Pizookie! Imagine a fresh out of the oven, deep dish, giant cookie, topped with two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. It will literally melt in your mouth. Need I say more? A full menu is listed at www.bjsrestaurants.com.

The first Tuesday of every month, BJ’s hosts a Beer Appreciation Night at 7:30pm. At each session, customers get to sample at least 12 beers from all over the world and learn about beer styles and breweries. It is $18 at the door, which includes samples, souvenirs, and educational handouts. Designated Drivers are encouraged to come and listen to the discussions for free.

For a full list of all the local breweries, check out www.sandiegobrewersguild.org/brewery.php. You can even print out a map of all 31 locations. From Chula Vista to Oceanside and from La Jolla to Alpine, you’re sure to find one spot you love. Just be sure to pace yourself and never drink and drive. Cheers!