Oasis’ new album digs out their soul

Oasis new album digs out their soul

The new Oasis album Dig Out Your Soul reminds us that sometimes simpler is better. This album, the follow up to Oasis’ 2005 hit Don’t Believe the Truth, isn’t anything super awesome or mind blowing, but it is good. It’s by far the band’s most complete work since (What’s the Story) Morning Glory (1995) and it truly demonstrates the bands maturity as both musicians and songwriters.

The first thing this album demonstrates is that Oasis has finally figured out the equation for being The Beatles. Throughout the bands roller coaster 14-year career, Oasis has never been above admitting that they are “heavily influenced” by the ’60s Brit-Pop gods. They have even gone as far as to lift the piano track from John Lennon’s “Imagine” for their own hit song “Don’t Look Back in Anger.”

While as before, however, Oasis merely sounded very similar to The Beatles with their simplistic pop chords and ultra-catchy melodies and vocal harmonies, they now sound almost identical. If the combination of McCartney, Lennon, Harris, and Star were all alive and together today, it wouldn’t be surprising if they sounded like Oasis does now.

Really, Oasis will never match The Beatles in influence, popularity, or success, but they’ve tried. They gone as far with Dig Out You Soul as to have Zak Starky, Ringo Star’s son, record many of the drum tracks and the entire album was recorded at the famous Abby Road Studios.

There is one song specifically that truly defines Oasis ascension to the greatest Beatles-rip-off-band of all time. This is “I’m Outta Time”, written by singer Liam Gallagher. This song, from Liam Gallaghers’ melodies and backing vocals to the beautiful piano and strings, just is Beatles. If there was to be an Across the Universe 2, the producers could slip “I’m Outta Time” into the movie and no one would e able to tell it wasn’t The Beatles. The song even contains a recording of a BBC John Lennon interview dubbed over the bridge.

As a result of all these pieces and parts, Oasis has come as close at it’ll ever be to being the Beatles.

The next most impressive thing about Dig Out Your Soul is the overall theme and tone. This borderline concept album focuses on the end of the world, with various references to falling, burning skies, prayer, and The Rapture in almost every song. Even though this is a bit repetitive and a common theme of recent music, Oasis turns this theme into the one of the most morose toned Brit-Pop albums since Suede’s We Are The Pigs (1994) or even perhaps The Smiths’ Strangeways, Here We Come (1987).

This maturation in tone can be best heard in guitarists and primary songwriter Noel Gallagher’s song, “Falling Down,” which is probably the best song on the album. Noel’s voice is on the song is soft and emotional, as with the rest of the song. The most pronounced part of the song is Noel’s lyrics, such as, “Catch the wind that breaks the butterfly/ I cried the rain that fills the ocean wide/ I tried to talk with God to no avail.

Calling my name from out of nowhere/ I said ‘If you won’t save me, please don’t waste my time’.” This is probably the most depth that you will find in any Oasis song.

The third and final aspect of Oasis’ maturity in Dig Out Your Soul is the surprising musical diversity that can be heard on the album. Sure, many of the songs sound like Brit-Pop, or The Beatles, but some are bluesy and even funky. Unheard of in earlier Oasis efforts this may be a result of the other members of the band contributing in the song writing department, not just Noel Gallagher.

Songs like “Waiting for the Rapture” and Bassist Andy Bell’s “The Nature of Reality” are full of blues riffs, while “(Get off Your) High Horse Lady” almost sounds like a country song. Guitarist Gem ‘s “To Be Where There’s Life” is very Indian influenced and Liam Gallagher’s “Soldier On” contains a guitar riff so funky it would almost make Jimi Hendrix proud.

Dig Out Your Soul contains some of Oasis’ best overall work and could the most complete album they will ever write. It’s catchy, it’s deep, it’s diverse and it sounds like the Beatles. What else could anyone want from an Oasis album?