San Diego’s Halloween Scare Tactics

San Diegos Halloween Scare Tactics

San Diego is home to a handful of haunted houses, both real and fake. Grab a group of hands to hold on to and enjoy these local fright nights.

The Haunted Hotel and The Haunted Trail are two of San Diego’s most popular and spine-chilling attractions. The Haunted Hotel, on the corner of 4th and Market Street, has been ranked No. 1 in San Diego, and for a vivid reason. It displays hauntingly real scenes one would see in movies such as Saw, Hostel, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Nightmare on Elm Street. The gruesome actors are known to come out of nowhere, so it is recommended that you stay on the well-traveled dark path, lest you find yourself at a dead end, lost and alone.

The Haunted Trail is all outdoors and after asking around, seems to be San Diego’s most terrorizing Halloween location, located in Balboa Park at Marston Point. If the cold autumn air does not send chills up your spine, a stroll through the seemingly abandoned bus at the end of the path sure will. This year, The Trails also include a Clown Maze for an additional $5.

Both The Haunted Hotel and The Haunted Trails are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays except for Oct 27 and 28. The rest of the week The Haunted Hotel is open 7 – 11 p.m., Friday, and Saturday 6 p.m. – 1 a.m. The Haunted Trails follow the same weekday times, and Friday – Saturday they operate from 7 p.m. – midnight. Tickets are $15 at the door, cash only.

Scream Zone

The Scream Zone got its name for a reason. Its web site displays a tally chart along with the following statement: “By the end of Week Two, 95 victims didn’t make it. Can YOU make it all the way through?” Can you make it through the House of Horror, Haunted Hayride, and The Chamber? The House of Horror features a Doll House, Electrocution Room, a Moving Floor Room, and lets not forget about the crazy clowns and the butcher shop to top it off. The Chamber is one place you do not want to get lost. Amongst the confusing twists and turns, you will encounter the Spinning Tunnel of Horror. There is plenty to see at their five acres on the Del Mar Fair Grounds.

Ticket prices are $15 to enter either the House of Horror or The Haunted Hayride, $19 to enter The Chamber plus the House of Horror or the Haunted Hayride, and then $28 if you are brave enough to take on all three. The Scream Zone is open 7 p.m. – midnight on Friday and Saturday and 7 – 11 p.m. the rest of the week.

Fightmare on Market

Located two blocks down from the Haunted Hotel, you can enjoy another fright fest at Frightmare on Market, located on the corner of 6th and Market. This old Victorian mansion is the perfect host for various terrifying rooms that guests can walk through. This attraction is definitely worth a visit. They are open Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 7 – 11 p.m. and Friday -Saturday 6 p.m. – 1 a.m. and is $14 cash only at the door.

The above-mentioned attractions strongly discourage children under the age of 10 from attending due to the graphic and realistic nature of the hotels and tours. Pregnant women will not be allowed in. Be sure to enjoy these titillating terrors until they close after Nov. 1.

For the weak of heart, here is a list of some places that won’t leave their guests with nightmares.

Mira Mesa Monster Manor

What started as a small Haunted House for kids has turned into a Monster Manor for people of all ages, at least one of their two attractions. Monster Manor hosts Lite Frite: Pirates Landing and Night Haunt: Monster Manor.what lies beneath. Lite Frite featured friendly pirates on the search for lost treasure, with the help of attendees. Night Haunt is warned to potentially be a little too frightening for children under 13, but a few volunteers in make-up doesn’t usually send anyone into panic. This is a more relaxed and non-threatening choice for a Halloween Thrill.

This non-profit attraction was created by mastermind Tim Allen in 2001 and has now grown to feature a 4000 sq. ft. tent in the Target Parking lot at 8235 Mira Mesa Blvd. They are aided by 200 volunteers (many of whom are high school students) and are sponsored by several major companies. All proceeds go to various charitable and non-profit organizations. Night Haunt is $10 and Lite Frite is $5. A $1 off coupon and hours of operation are available at www.monstermanor.org.

The National Comedy Theatre Halloween Spooktacular is their “dumbest show of the year,” according to their website (www.nationalcomedy.com). An improv show with a creepy Halloween twist you won’t wanna miss. These special shows will be taking place on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. and a bonus show on Nov. 1 at 11:45 p.m. Tickets are only $12 for students (as opposed to $15). Buy them fast because they are known to sell out.

There is also The Ghostly Good Times at Plaza del Pasado in Old Town. During limited days in October, ghost tours are being held from 6:30-7:30 p.m. around Old Town and the State Historic Park. On Oct. 31 kids can trick-or-treat from 4-6:30 p.m. around the beautiful State Park, carve pumpkins, watch magician shows, enjoy spooky story telling, and then catch a ghost tour at 7 p.m. Who says college kids can’t enjoy this innocent fun also!

On Nov. 1 catch the Circus: Zirk Ubu. It will feature your typical jugglers, acrobats, aerialists, fire breathers, and incredible hulks. They will roam around the park, followed by the main show starting at 6:30 p.m., which you can all enjoy for free.

However, if this all sounds too lighthearted for you, experience a real haunted house, also located in Old Town. The infamous Whaley House was featured in Life Magazine as “the most haunted house in America.” For the month of October they are keeping their doors open a little bit longer so they guests can enjoy some special Halloween events. For a list of activities and hours, refer to their web site: htt[://whaleyhouse.org/Halloween.