Mesa experiences death for a day

Mesa experiences death for a day

Fire fighters surrounded a Plymouth Horizon with three Mesa students trapped inside.

The window shattered as the Jaws of Life tore off the driver’s door with 10,000 lbs. of pressure. Philippe Tren, 18 years old, was pronounced dead.

Seven minutes later, the coup was converted into a convertible. The roof permanently removed.

Silvia Gonzalez, Nursing and Biology major, was rescued from the passenger’s seat with lacerations to her face and 23-year-old Derek Bullington was removed from the back seat unscathed.

The 40 students and faculty members gathered around the scene applauded the hasty performance.

“The Death Experience,” organized by Student Health Services, attempted to discourage students from drunk driving through a series of activities and presentations such as the mock extraction on Oct. 29.

“Even with the blanket on top of us you can still feel the glass fall on you,” said, 18, Gonzalez about being inside the vehicle as firefighter sawed away the roof above her head.

Down the stairs, past a sign reading “Drunk drivers needed,” students strapped on .08 BAC drunk goggles and drove golf carts in a figure eight obstacle course. Being just over the legal limit students had difficulties staying on course.

“I thought I was doing well but apparently I was too wide,” said 21 year old photography major Diva Hammond. She struck 15 cones.

Tren, nursing major, described the course as “very difficult” after parking his cart on top of a cone. Symbolizing hitting a parked car.

Kathy Robb, a campus councilor, said, “[drunk driving] can really cause terrible damage and irreversible tragedy.

“This crime is preventable,” explained, MADD volunteer, Mark Crispino, “100 percent preventable in my mind.”

Crispino described his preventable tragedy at 1 p.m. in room H-117 in front of an enraptured audience of two dozen. He recounted the graphic death of his brother and brother’s fiancé.

Both were hit two and a half years ago by a 38 year old man driving a blue truck with a BAC of .24 – three times the legal limit. The cause of death was internal decapitation.

Crispino is still in process of prosecuting the man.

Some students, visibly shaken by Crispino’s story, received comfort from supportive friends.

“[The presentation] was moving. It’s more emotional when you’re around a person who’s affected by it,” reflected Mike Hootner, 39, working on his master’s in health, physical education and exercise science.

From 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. students were put in the shoes of a DUI offender. They wore goggles simulating a .24 BAC and attempted to pass a sobriety test.

Every person who attempted the test failed. Every person was hand-cuffed and every person was thrown in the cruiser.

“That was really difficult. I have a lot of balance because of skate and surf and that really sucked,” explained marine biology major Danielle McKelvey, 21.

“I appreciate it. I think a lot of people can learn from it,” said Rodolfo Elias.

Elias, 23, explained that people who haven’t driven drunk now understand why they shouldn’t and for those who have and gotten way with it, it’s “a little head warmer.” It gives them something to think about.

“It’s a big problem among all ages. Anyone that can drive a care is prone to be DUI,” said Officer Mathew Koerber while placing handcuffs on McKelvey.

In front of a large silver trimmed white casket, donated for the day by Clairemont Mortuaries, Juan Hernandez, ASG Sen., spoke to those who had just failed the DUI tests.

The black-robe-clad, scythe-wielding Hernandez, who helped ASG donate $1500 to the event, spoke to students about “the possibility and the outcomes of what happens when you drink and drive.” Inside the casket he stood in front. a mirror.

Monica Zeck, Public Information Officer for the El Cajon Fire Department, facilitated the showing of “Assault 5”

“[The movie] gives you a good concept, in several ways, of the devastation they [the CHP] see,” every day on our roadway said Zeck.

Standing in front of her displays that outline the dangers of drugs an alcohol Zeck reminds students, “its your future. And not only your future, but it maybe somebody else’s future you hurt.”

After being the imagined victim DUI accident Gonzalez was visibly shaken. After being led out of the wrecked Plymouth she was visibly shaken.

“It was scary. It was life changing,” said Gonzalez, 18, “An eye opener, really.”

“Don’t do it,” commented the faux driver Tren, “One bad decision you made can just impact everyone.”