The new Morrissey is nothing new

The new Morrissey is nothing new

Morrissey’s latest album, Years of Refusal, is everything you can expect from another solo outing by the Ex-Smiths front man and not much else.

This album returns to the pop-rock sound of his earlier work but retains the more rocking aspects from his previous album, Ringleader of the Tormentors.

Morrissey delivers what he is famous for: a crooning, borderline annoying voice and satirical lyrics. “Disappointment came to me and booted me./But that’s how people grow up,” shows that Morrissey is as sarcastic as ever.

The music written by Morrissey’s backing band is top notch. Guitarists Jesse Tobias and Boz Boorer add edge and precisions to otherwise simple songs. Bassist Solomon Walker and Drummer Matt Walker combine for upbeat tempos.

The songs “Black Cloud” and “When Last I Spoke to Carol” are easily the highlights of Years of Refusal.

“Black Cloud” is a catchy tune that features a beautifully crafted guitar intro performed by Jeff Beck.

On “When Last I Spoke to Carol,” Boorer’s acoustic guitar work adds a distinct European feel. Also, the Spanish-style horns give this song unique flair

Unfortunately, these few wrinkles are really the only things that make this album distinguishable from Morrissey’s earlier works.

Morrissey’s melodies and voice are almost to identical to every other album in Morrissey’s lengthy solo excursion.

Also, these vocals are mixed so high that it makes the backing music difficult to hear at times.

Years of Refusal continues Morrissey’s recent of trend of good albums. However, the singer’s own unoriginal vocal style and prominence holds this album back and dulls the overall sheen of Morrissey’s backing band.