Lady Gaga graces San Diego

Lady Gaga, in my unbiased opinion, is God, if God was the perfect union of David Bowie and a techno pop princess. Her music is neither meaningful nor deep in content, but her pounding base and nonsensical lyrics make her perfect for any dance floor or iPod. Who wants to hear touching lyrics as they bump and grind in an intoxicated blur? As her song “Just Dance” proclaims, “I love this record babe but I can’t see straight anymore.” Her songs are the soundtrack for every drunken evening of unabashed debauchery, or the occasional work out. March 12 was the debut of her latest tour, The Fame Ball. Their first stop was at the House of Blues in San Diego.

Anticipation loomed as I approached the venue. The line was wrapped around the block, so I did the logical thing and cut in line near the front. Then the dreaded letdown; the House of Blues is a standing only venue. Points lost immediately. Diehard fans had already swarmed the stage before I arrived leaving me peering over what seemed to be the tallest woman on Earth. I was about to call the Guinness Book of World Records when I was told about the 21 and over section on the second floor. The House of Blues’ upper level balcony peers directly over the stage.

I had to wait two hours to see Lady Gaga, the opening bands were as unexpected as could be. The first band, named Cinema Bizzare, can only be categorized as glam rock with a feminine flair and a dash of emo. Although they were the most beautiful men I had ever seen, I wanted Gaga.

The next band, Chester French, also confused me. The band was racially eclectic and their lead singer bore a striking resemblance to a cabbage patch doll wearing a Charlie brown-esque t-shirt banging a triangle and beating a tambourine against his chest.

Just as I’d given up all hope, yet another rock band donned the stage. I was shocked. Did I go the wrong House of Blues in San Diego? Did the tour busses get mixed up and I was doomed to watch a string of emo rock bands? White Tie Affair began to play and I was pleasantly surprised. Although they were a rock band, their energy and shirtless lead singer spoke to me. To add to my surprise they did an amazing rendition of Lil’ Wayne’s “Got Money.” They rocked, without a doubt. The crowd was screaming and so was I.

By the time Lady Gaga graced the stage the crowd was ravenous. Her performance included amazing performance art pieces that paid homage to Andy Warhol, or as she said, “Candy Warhol”. Her costumes were, as expected outlandish and futuristic. One dress in particular was transparent bubbles. Her slow version of “Poker Face” was unexpected, as she played the piano in her bubble dress and used her right foot to slam on the keys. She spoke about her journey back from 3009 and rocked the walls. Although her portion of the concert was short and sweet, less than an hour, it was an eye pleasing experience and techno-infused dream. If I had the chance I’d do it again in a heartbeat.