Spring break hot spots

Spring break hot spots

The U.S. State Department has posted a strong advisory to stay away from Mexico this Spring Break due to continuing violence. Cheap beer, pretty beaches and a lowered drinking age often attract college kids to hot spots such as Cancun, Acapulco, Rosarito, and Baja. But now violence is an added part of the neighboring country’s party package. Eduardo Medina-Moro, Attorney General of Mexico, said on an NBC news broadcast on Feb. 27 that some innocent victims have just been “in the wrong place in the wrong time.” Well Mesa students, I am here to show you the good places for a good time.

Lake Havasu

I am sure you are all familiar with the shenanigans that go down at this notorious party lake in Arizona. College kids flock from all over the Western U.S. with boats and beer in hand to enjoy their Spring Break on the river. Be prepared for a five-hour drive, as it is located on the Calif./Ariz. border. Consider renting a house if you have a big group or book a hotel room (try the Nautical Inn Resort) now. To really enjoy your trip I would recommend bringing a boat (or a friend who had a boat) or just make some new friends fast. All the partying happens on the water during the day, starting in The Channel, which is where all the boats enter the water. From there, boats start heading to Copper Canyon where hundreds of watercrafts are tethered together and open ice chests are on every boat. If you want to mellow out a little bit head to the Sand Bar in the late afternoon or socialize with fellow partygoers under The London Bridge. The craziness continues into the night at bars and clubs such as the Naked Turtle, Kokomo, the Red Room or the London Bridge Brewery. If you want crazy, “spring break style” fun this is the place to go. Just be prepared for masses of drunken college students.

Catalina Island

This is an island paradise just 20 miles off the San Diego coast! The Catalina Express ferry can pick you up at Dana Point and drop you off in Avalon (Catalina’s party town) one and a half hours later for $68.50 round trip. Once you get there cruise to the Descanso Beach Club where you can enjoy a cocktail while your toes are in the sand, with live music most Sundays. Then you can go snorkeling, swimming and sunbathing on the beautiful, relaxing beaches. Then come nightfall get a little crazy at The Chi Chi club, Luau Larry’s, El Galleon, and Flip’s. For something more low key, check out local favorites, The Marlin or JL’s. Hotels book fast come spring and are about $100 a night minimum. However, for just $13 a night you can camp right on the beach in Avalon at Hermit Gluch. Check out www.visitcatalinaisland.com for more info.

Palm Springs

Palm Springs is trying to revitalize it’s party lifestyle (it used to be the epitome of Spring Break 20 years ago before the anti-thong law passed) so you can expect a good time and some great deals, including a 2-night stay at select hotels for $100 (go to www.palmspringsbreak.com). SWAT changed travel plans from San Felipe to Palm Spring this year due to concerns from students and parents about the south-of-the-border turmoil. Just a brisk two hour drive away, you will find most of the college kids chillin’ at The Holiday Inn April 5th through the 8th if you want to party without SWAT prices. Cruise down Palm Canyon Drive for the best bars and clubs.