The Silent Comedy

We saw it fit to feature local band The Silent Comedy this month, being as it is Mustache March. What may seem to be a gathering of five or so mustache enthusiasts is actually one of San Diego’s most promising new bands.

Formed in 2005 by brothers Jeremiah and Josh Zimmerman, the band was meant to be a side project of indie/alternative band Dehra Dun. Initially, The Silent Comedy was strictly an outlet for the new songs that the brothers were writing that didn’t fit Dehra Dun’s style. They also agreed to not play live.

All of this changed when Dehra Dun began to fall apart. With the addition of I. Forbes (violin/mandolin), J. Michael (guitar/mandolin/banjo), T. Brian (vocals/guitar/harmonica), and Andy Ridley (percussion), The Silent Comedy became an unstoppable force of Good Ol’ Americana music and prohibition era nostalgia, giving audiences a performance that would forever be burnt into their long term memory.

The vaudeville-esque asthetic of their music combines acoustic-roots music with updated lyrics and a few borrowed instruments from modern rock n’ roll, such as the electric guitar and keyboard. The band’s image also plays a huge role in their act. All but one of the band’s members sport a mustache. When I say mustache, I mean a real mustache, not what is accepted as a mustache in today’s society. To match their early 1900’s facial hair, the band also dons custom fitted slacks and vests that would not look out of place on a juggler or lion tamer.

If songs like “49” and “Moonshine” doesn’t get your foot tapping, you have no soul and are simply posing as a human, but we all know you are simply a pile of flesh and bones that meanders through their days doing nothing of importance. Fans of Leon Russell, Man Man, Gogol Bordello, Modest Mouse, toy pianos, and pump organs should find themselves at home with the music of The Silent Comedy.

If you have the chance, make sure to catch The Silent Comedy live. You are sure to have an experience unlike any other that will stay with you forever like the bitter, sweet after-taste of moonshine. You might even go blind for a little bit. Not really though.

Band Website:

myspace.com/thesilentcomedy

Upcomming gigs:

April 18th, 1 pm @ M Theory Records, San Diego.

Know of any good local bands that you think should be featured here? Send us suggestions at eartothegroundTMP@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from you, our loyal readers, soon!