Will adults last this race?

Will adults last this race?

Disney now embarks on reimaging their own work with their remake of “Race to Witch Mountain.” While it’ll probably be a hit for kids, it misses the mark with adults. During the 70s, Disney made two films, “Escape to Witch Mountain,” and “Return from Witch Mountain,” about the alien adventures of Tony and Tia. Now, they try to reinvigorate the series with the actor formerly known as The Rock.

Tony and Tia are now Seth (Alexander Ludwig) and Sara (AnnaSophia Robb). Their spaceship has crash-landed on Earth and need help to get off of our planet. So they select a cabbie named Jack Bruno (Dwayne Johnson), a man that used to work for the mob but is trying to get back on his own two feet legitimately. Getting to Witch Mountain isn’t a piece of cake because it’s heavily guarded by the FBI. Plus, they are on hot pursuit by Major Henry Burke (Ciaran Hinds). Bruno also asks for the help of Dr. Alex Friedman (Carla Gugino) who has theories about extraterrestrials but has never actually seen one.

As with all aliens, both Seth and Sara have extraordinary powers. Seth can transform different things while Sara can read people’s minds. One can only wonder how creatures from different planets, who have more capabilities than the ordinary human, can crash their own spaceship and then need humans to help them out.

When the producers made this film, they had a specific age range in mind. College kids or adults weren’t the ones. It might be intended to be a family adventure, but this film specifically targets children. The movie has big, loud explosions mixed with bright lights. Add in a couple of cute kids with a bunch of chase scenes and the children will stay entertained for a good 98 minutes. They won’t question how the FBI can devise a plan to capture the alien twins or even how they can get a lock on their whereabouts. A story that is illogical won’t be questioned by kids, as long as there are a lot of booms. This sounds a lot like “Transformers,” and “Eagle Eye” huh?

Johnson does his part in trying to keep this film as compelling to adults as possible. There is no denying that Johnson has a lot of screen presence, with his quick one-liners and ever-present charisma. He tries to make every scene he’s in count, but there is only so much The Rock can do. Ludwig and Robb (who’s actually is a good young actress, just watch “A Bridge to Terabithia” or “Sleepwalking”) are there to look cute. Hinds is pretty creepy as Burke. Gugino is there for filler and as a potential love interest for Johnson, but other than that, she’s pretty much useless in this film.

Kids and only kids should view this film. They’ll be the ones that can’t differentiate between a good and bad story. But a story is irrelevant when there are things exploding and people are being chased. Adrenaline and Johnson’s presence are the only things that will get any adult through this film. But then again, people did love “Transformers.”