Ear to the Ground – New Age Heroes

New Age Heroes have been cranking out catchy pop-punk (with emphasis on punk according to guitarist Dustin) for about two years now. Standing by the music of our earlier years (assuming that your between the ages of 18 and 26), New Age Heroes have given San Diego tunes to take us back to simpler times.

For most of us, pop-punk died our first day of freshman year in high school, probably sometime around the early 2000’s. Maybe it was because Nirvana better suited your new found teenage angst or you were trying to hook up with that cute hipster girl by memorizing every lyric from the latest Strokes album. Either way, most of us traded our Blink 182 T shirts for a band that could get us laid.

Slowly, the pop-punk craze started to fizzle, and it became embarrassing if a buddy found Blink 182’s “Cheshire Cat” or Green Day’s classic “Dookie.” Suddenly these new prophets of indie music began to frown down on the music of bands like Rancid, Blink 182, Nofx and Less Than Jake, declaring it a simple and immature music with no substance. The members of what was to become New Age Heroes weren’t going to just sit down and take this, so they started a band.

If you’re looking for the next Radiohead or Pink Floyd of our generation, look elsewhere. Maybe Filter, Spin Magazine, or Pitchfork can guide you in the right direction. They may not be the most original band to come out of San Diego, but sometimes there is no need to tamper with tried and true good music. Drawing some their sound from bands such as Less Than Jake, Black Flag and Rancid, the boys of New Age Heroes shamelessly wear their influences on their shoulder while adding their own special touch to the music. Each band member brings different musical tastes to the table (Justin used to play bass in a ska band while Wes built up his chops playing in metal and hip hop bands), resulting in a sound that stretched the boundaries of pop-punk.

The band is in the process laying down the basic tracks for their upcoming full-length album and plan to have their final recording session sometime next month. If all goes as planned, the album will be released sometime this summer or early fall.

Whether you’re looking for a night of power chords blasted through a massive amp at your face and room booming bass lines, a trip down memory lane or just a general good time, stop looking and just head over to one of the New Age Hero shows. You’ll walk away from it pleased, or maybe just a little bit bruised from the pit, but I guarantee that you will have a fun night.

Upcoming Gigs:

May 23rd @ Soma

Band Website:
newageheroes.com
myspace.com/newageheroes