Nothing to obsess about

“Obsessed” wants to be like “Fatal Attraction” or “Basic Instinct.” The latter films were sleek, sexy and thrilling to watch. The former offers nothing of the sort. With a formidable cast, it’s disappointing to see this film not live up to it’s predecessors.

Successful business man Derek (Idris Elba) has finally have a home of his own, married to his beautiful wife Sharon (Beyonce Knowles) and raising their baby son together.

Trouble brews with the arrival of Derek’s new temp Lisa (Ali Larter). Their first encounter happens in the elevator. Derek is his friendly self, Lisa believes it’s love at first sight.

The advances come but Derek rejects profusely. Flirtation becomes obsession and that’s no good for Derek. Especially when Sharon is one crazy bitch when it comes to her man.

There are plenty of things that hurt this movie, the biggest being the writing. David Loughery knows how to set up a story but it stops right there. All the characters are given one note.

Derek should show some struggle between love and lust when Lisa is teasing him but he’s regulated to being a saint. There is no fun when the most confused character in the film isn’t confused at all.

Lisa is all obsessed with Derek but here really isn’t a gradual process to the stalking. The obsession basically happens from the get-go. Audiences will hate her only because she is meant to be hated, not because of her actions throughout the film.

Sharon is the worst of the three. She’s there to raise havoc for the last act of the film. She wants to seek and destroy the bitch and that is all she’s good for.

It doesn’t help that the actors inhibiting the characters bring nothing to the script. Elba likes to yell and then be restraint and yell again, all in the same motion. Larter looks sexy but her being delusional really doesn’t work. Then there is Beyonce, who was sensational in “Cadillac Records,” really was in bitch mode the whole time.

Like all movies with bad scripts, they all have bad endings. And the ending for this film will leave you laughing (not in a good way), disgusted (did they really write that in) and having your jaw dropped (again, not in a good way).

There are a few funny parts in the film, some intentional and some not. Granted, this film is intended for a certain demographic (especially if Beyonce and Earvin “Magic” Johnson are executive producers) and they surely will suspend their disbelief in some parts. But as the movie goes, no one will be obsessing over this.