Ear To The Ground: Dirty Sweet

Ear To The Ground: Dirty Sweet

Dirty Sweet takes you back to a time when your parents had just gotten their driver’s license and guitar heavy, classic rock ruled the airwaves.

Formed in late 2003, Dirty Sweet is the product of three local music scene veterans alongside two California transplants.

Formerly of local indie band JeJune, Mark Murino and Chris Mendez-Vanacore teamed up with Convoy alumni Shaun Cornell to establish the original lineup. The three founders were soon joined by vocalist Ryan Koontz and Nathan Beale, who just moved to California from Detroit. Murino and Cornell have since left the band, and were replaced by Christian Schinelli and Eli Wulfmeier.

Within months of the band’s inception, Dirty Sweet landed their first gig touring as the main supporting act for Jimmy Eat World. Since then the band has played everywhere from local venues to Amsterdam, including a month-long stint at L.A.’s infamous Viper Room. Dirty Sweet has walked away with numerous San Diego Music Awards, as well as receiving recognition across the pond in British music rag, NME.

Even the most casual of listeners will be able to identify Led Zeppelin’s influence on the band. After closer inspection though, other classic rock acts such as Foghat and T. Rex begin to reveal their presence as a factor in Dirty Sweet’s music. A few songs hint at blues and even some country influences. All comparisons aside, Dirty Sweet has created a sound all-their-own in a genre often plagued by unoriginality.

Dirty Sweet’s 2006 debut album, Of Monarchs And Beggars, is one of the most down right dirty rock records to be released since Kings Of Leon’s first record. Delivering a healthy dose of guitar driven rock n’ roll, Of Monarchs. lives up to the band’s namesake. With rollicking lead guitar riffs anchored by seemless grooves laid down by the rhythm section, Dirty Sweet is sure to please fans of 70s guitar rock.

Although some may dismiss the band as an “original” Led Zeppelin cover band, Dirty Sweet has much more to offer to those who stick around. Those who are especially eager to see the band live can head up to Los Angeles tonight to catch their set at Spaceland.

Upcomming Gigs:
Dec. 10 Spaceland, Los Angeles. 9 p.m.

Visit them on the web:
www.dirtysweetmusic.com
myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic

Of Monarchs And Beggars available on iTunes and
seedlingrecords.com