Ear to the Ground

Ear to the Ground

When asked how they would classify themselves, members of local band, D/ Wolves, simply replied, “Mud.” If this is true, mud has never sounded so good.

D/ Wolves came to be in the summer of 2009, starting out as the merging of two bands. Jessie Cuevas and Patrick Scafidi had been playing together in The Kodack Momentz while Joel Williams and Alex Pitta were in Kris Kraft. Having all been friends since high school, the members of the two groups decided to branch off and start a new band. After recruiting Patrick’s older brother Brian to play drums, D/ Wolves was formed.

There is no primary songwriter in the band, although Williams is responsible for the majority of the lyrics. Everyone is involved with the writing process, which usually begins with one of the members bringing an idea to the others.

Using what could be best described as a “jam based” method of trial and error, the band will play around with an idea until they have something that resembles a song. According to Cuevas, multiple songs will often be combined into one. The band claims that their best work is created when they lock themselves in the garage with their instruments and plunge into a self-induced state of sleep-deprived delirium, only to emerge at dawn with a new song.

Their songs are simple pop tunes enveloped in a blanket of noise, bearing resemblance to The Shins or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot era Wilco. With catchy riffs and melodic based structure, their songs bring to mind a Velvet Underground of the digital age.

D/ Wolves employ synthesizers, effects pedals, samplers and computer software to create the static noise that is layered on their songs’ basic instrumental tracks. A prominent feature in most of their songs is circuit bending, which is when an electronic device is modified to produce sounds that it was not originally intended to make. The members will sometimes switch instruments while writing, often stumbling on ideas that would not have surfaced otherwise.

The band prefers playing live as opposed to recording, finding the energy and spontaneity of performing on stage to be a benefit to their music.

With a self-titled five track EP set to be released March 20 by Little Fury Things Records and plans to tour this summer, the future is certainly looking good for D/ Wolves.