Applied Music furthers performing arts

The Applied Music Program at Mesa offers music majors the opportunity to practice in private lessons that are paid for by the school while gaining a valuable experience in music.

Joshua Tucker, 24, is a music major with an emphasis in voice and is in his second semester with the program. He has always been interested in music, performing with choirs and competing in National Festivals.

“I had been in the Marines for five years, and just felt like something was missing,” Tucker said. “I always knew I wanted to do something musical.”

The program holds auditions each semester and only the top 15 people are accepted. It is essentially a $1,000 per semester scholarship, giving students the opportunity to practice in private lessons.

Former Mesa music professor Irvin King and current music instructor Dr. Richard Chagnon founded the program about 10 years ago.

“We wanted to create a program in which students could experience the same opportunities with private instructions as four year college students do,” Chagnon said.

The program consists of a set of classes that each student must enroll in, as well as weekly private lessons.

“We have to take Music Theory, Ear Training, Recital, and Ensemble,” commented Tucker. “We also perform in recital at the end of each semester in front of a jury. It consists of three pieces and is evaluated by the faculty.”

In addition to the set of classes and private lessons, the students must also practice another five hours a week in the practice rooms on campus.

“We want the students to be involved with a performing group at Mesa to add skill to their musical knowledge in the group,” Chagnon commented.

Robert Blocher, 20, is in his fourth semester with the program studying classical piano and has been playing since he first came to Mesa in 2006.

“I heard an accompanist play during one of our high school concerts and thought it would be so amazing to be able to play like that,” Blocher said.

The program is continuing to flourish as the number of instruments and talent grows each semester.

“The number of instruments varies with each semester,” Chagnon said. “We have more guitarists and pianists this semester, and the skill level has increased within the last 10 years as people coming into the program have more experience. [The program] is a great opportunity to develop your instrument.”

Both Tucker and Blocher aspire to have a career in music in both performing and teaching music education.

“The program has opened a lot of doors toward a career in singing opera,” Tucker said. “Next Spring, I will be performing in the Metropolitan Opera Festival in San Diego.”

“This program is the best music program for community colleges,” Blocher said. “The instructors really care about the students and you learn a lot-what you learn here is invaluable.”