Ear to the Ground

To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Ear To The Ground, we thought it would be a good idea to check in and update readers on all the bands that have been featured in the column. The upcoming summer will bring plenty of good music, if this update is any indication.

The Jon Garner Trio has been on hiatus since this past fall, but plan to start playing again this summer. Vocalist and guitarist Jon Garner has been playing as a solo act. Jon Ji, will depart on a mini tour of Northern California in June.

The Silent Comedy just released a new album, Common Faults earlier this month. They will be playing at Birch North Park Theatre on May 28 with fellow Ear To The Ground alumni Dirty Sweet.

Get Back Loretta released a new EP this past summer titled Where Did You Go. On May 29 you can catch them at the Casbah with Or The Whale and Swim Party. They also have a big show at Qualcomm supporting P.O.D on June 12.

The pop-punk trio New Age Heroes has unfortunately broken up. Guitarist and lead vocalist Dustin Blackwell is in the process of starting a new band also working on his solo project, Nuked With Care.

Singer-songwriter Gregory Page released a new album entitled Heartstrings this past Valentine’s Day. You can catch Page every Thursday at Java Joe’s in Hillcrest. He will also be playing at the Sam Hinton Folk Festival on June 5 in Poway.

A Scribe Amidst The Lions is currently working of a series of singles, The Last Sting Trilogy, the band has already released the first in the series, Money in the Mouth. Head over to the Che Café (located on the UCSD campus) on June 9 to see them play with Incomplete Neighbor and Boombox Renaissance.

Lady Dottie is still the hardest working blues-woman in town. The band maintains their regular gig every Monday at U-31 and every Wednesday at Gallagher’s, so there’s no excuse to miss out on the good times that Lady Dottie and the Diamonds unofficially guarantee.

Dirty Sweet is currently on tour in Europe. They released their latest album, American Spiritual, on April 6. As mentioned above, they will be playing with The Silent Comedy on May 28.

D/ Wolves released a self-titled EP earlier this month and plan to have their debut album out by this summer. You can see them at the Che Café on May 15 and June 2. They will be touring up and down the coast in June as well.