A taste of family fun at Oktoberfest

San Diego has its own version of Oktoberfest where people can come and celebrate the fun-loving German lifestyle. Mesa students can participate at the festival in Ocean Beach on October 9th from 10:00 am – 8:30 pm off of Newport Ave.

“Thousands of people attend the festival every year, and its always a big turn out,” said Kevan Larrabure, a Mesa student. The festival is full of authentic German cuisine, drinks, and attire. The women serving drinks to guests are in full dirndl dresses making the experience that more genuine.

Oktoberfest is known for drinking beer and eating flavorful sausages. Samuel Adams sponsors the event, where they have several beer gardens throughout the festival to enjoy a cold one. Guests cannot walk around the fair with alcoholic beverages, but are welcomed to enjoy them in the garden accompanied with music and any of the food they want to bring in. For the younger adults, the festival even has homemade root beer to enjoy.

In order to celebrate Oktoberfest like the Germans do, the festival sells bratwursts, polish sausages, and hot links. People put sauerkraut and grilled onions on their sausage of choice and load it up with any toppings they like. If guests are looking for other types of food, they can find a variety of different things to eat. There is Chinese, tri-tip barbecue, corn on the cob, pretzels and numerous amounts of desserts to choose from.

Oktoberfest in Ocean Beach will hold several different contests and games. One of which is a sausage-throwing contest. Guests can participate in a brat-trot, an authentic German game, and be entered in to win $10,000 in prizes for participating. Live music will be played on two stages and plenty of more German games to be enjoyed.

Since so many people attend the festival, parking can be scarce. The festival does have a shuttle to pick up people in Pacific Beach at 710 Beach Club from 11:30-8:30 pm. Dress comfortably because there is a lot of walking involved.

The Oktoberfest festival is something that all ages are welcomed to enjoy. Bring your younger siblings to enjoy the face painting and henna tattoos, or go with a group of friends to enjoy the food, beer and games. Oktoberfest is definitely a perfect way to start the fall season off right.