Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza is more than pizza

Sammys Woodfired Pizza is more than pizza

In the corner of the Costa Verde shopping center in UTC, you’ll find Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza, a tasty pizza place that has locations scattered around San Diego. Don’t let the name fool you; they go far beyond pizza. The location is cozy, the atmosphere is calm, and the food is rich in flavor.

When you walk into the Costa Verde location, you can choose between the serene, luxurious interior, or the peaceful, breezy patio setting to be seated. The staff and atmosphere are very welcoming. The tables are spacious, so you don’t feel cramped or as if you’re unintentionally joining another party’s lunch.

Even during the rush hours of lunch and dinner, there’s never a long wait and the atmosphere is still extremely friendly and calm.

Once you’re seated, you can have bread and crackers brought to your table at no additional charge. The crackers are very flavorful, and an excellent substitute to the everyday bread and butter.

The waiters are all very friendly and the service is outstanding. They are constantly checking up on your meal and making sure your dining experience is a good one.

The menu is very large with exciting choices everywhere. You may have a hard time deciding as they certainly make every menu item look enticing.

From mini duck tacos to Thai chicken satays, their appetizers are a nice change from ordinary chicken wings. The hummus with grilled herb flat bread is incredible; the hummus itself has a tasty garlic flavor, but the grilled herb flat bread really makes the appetizer exquisite.

The salads are phenomenal and with many different kinds to choose from, the most popular being the balsamic grilled chicken salad, which is exceptionally flavorful. The balsamic dressing is extremely satisfying. It’s recommended to get the parsley on the side; at times it can be too overwhelming.

The wood fired pizzas live up to their name of course, with the LaDou Barbeque Chicken Pizza at the top of most guests lists. With barbequed white meat chicken, barbeque sauce, cilantro, smoked Gouda and sliced red onion for toppings, this particular pizza is nothing ordinary.

As for dessert, if you don’t mind getting a little messy the sundae is divine. It consists of an overflowing large wine glass of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate and caramel syrup trickling down the sides, chopped walnuts, and a cherry to top it off.

Sammy’s is a great joint for a relaxing lunch with the co-workers or a romantic dinner with someone special. With many different locations including La Jolla, Point Loma, and Mission Valley, all open until 9:30 p.m. on weekdays and 10:00 p.m. on weekends, there’s always a time to go. The closest Sammy’s is located at 8650 Genessee Ave. With so many menu items to choose from, you’ll want to try something different every time.