Museum Month madness in San Diego

Museum Month madness in San Diego

Museum month in San Diego means tickets can are discounted by up to 50 percent with a free pass from Macy’s for the month of February.

There are a total of 40 museums participating in this event and 13 museums are located in Balboa Park, which allows for easy transportation between the museums. It is only a short walk between them and they are located in a very beautiful area.

For some the museum experience is has been limited to walking through big rooms and looking at old paintings and sculptures that no one is allowed to touch. While almost all museums still have these “big rooms” many museums now have interactive exhibits for those who are more hands on. There are microscopes to look through and puzzles to solve and some museums even have games to play so it going to the museum will be a whole new experience.

Here are few museums in the Balboa Park area to go to that are offering discounts with the free pass.

San Diego Museum of Man- tickets $6.25 with pass, $10 without.

Dominoes, Chess, Monopoly, and Clue are all classic games that children and adults have had countless hours of fun playing. Currently you can see hundred year old that different cultures and civilizations have played and see how some of today’s popular board games looked when they first came out.

At the end of the exhibit the museum has put out well over 30 games that visitors can sit and play. Most of the time at this museum may be spent in this area, but it does fill up pretty quickly so be sure to get that table first.

Some other special exhibits at this museum are “Race: Are We So Different?” which offers a different look at race and racism in America. Also at the museum is “Strange Bones,” this exhibit shows how the human body has changed after hundreds of thousands of years and it also has strange bones on display.

Museum of Photographic Arts- tickets $3 with pass, $6 without.

Currently on exhibit is “Streetwise: Masters of 60’s Photography.” This exhibit is sure to keep the eyes focused and get the brain thinking about these amazing black and white photos of the 60’s. The exhibit focuses on life in America; biker gangs, the Black Panthers, and Boston’s red light district (just a few examples).

The exhibit holds photos belonging to nine photographers who documented the 60’s through their camera lens. Their photos have been put together in an amazing book that is sold at the museum gift shop for $55.

San Diego Natural History Museum- tickets $6 with pass, $12 without.

“Lizards & Snakes: Alive!” gives a feeling of being at the zoo with its geckos, viper snakes, and iguanas. Although at times these reptiles can be intimidating there is no need to fear because they are behind glass (unless you are Harry Potter).

Another exhibit that is sure to leave people mesmerized, especially the women, is “All That Glitters: The Splendor and Science of Gems and Minerals.” Some of the most exotic jewelry is displayed for all to see, there are crowns, rings and necklaces that are all covered in platinum and diamonds. This is definitely accessory heaven. Also part of the display are these jewels in their raw form pulled right from the earth in some places where if occupied for longer than 20 minutes a stroke is likely to occur.