‘100 Lovers’ succeeds, but falls short of precedent

100 Lovers succeeds, but falls short of precedent

DeVotchKa’s most recent outing falls short of the greatness set by their previous installment
After nearly three years DeVotchKa releases their sixth studio album, “100 Lovers.” While a great album, it falls short of the precedent set with “A Mad and Faithful Telling.”
This album has 12 songs, two of which are “Interludes.” These “Interludes” are very short segments in the album serving the purpose of splitting the track preceding and succeeding it.
Any fan of DeVotchKa will feel right at home with the arrangement of strings very prominent in the first song.
Listeners of the previous albums will find the unique vocals still intact with Nick Urata still providing his signature sound.
Every song in the album is great, some of them with a slow tempo like “The Alley” and inversely you have a faster song in “All the Sand in All the Sea.”
“100 Other Lovers” is up there with the best DeVotchKa songs and is definitely the best song in the album.
The rhythm is as sweet as ever, in songs like “Exhaustible,” the understated guitar and the great use of a Theremin.
In the last quarter of the album “Bad Luck Heels” shifts to style similar to that in their work on the Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack and from their song “Blessing in Disguise” from their previous album.
This album succeeds in almost every regard, but when stacked up to the nearly perfect “A Mad and Faithful Telling” it just feels like a notch below. It is hard to top a nearly perfect album, but DeVotchKa managed to make a great album regardless.
When it comes down to it, this is an album that is worthy of a full purchase, it is a well-rounded entry from DeVotchKa that should not be missed by anyone, especially the fans.