Music recital inspires budding musicians

Put on every Wednesday at 1 p.m., the music recital put on by the Mesa College Music Department is a program designed to expand students’ knowledge of instruments and for some, to offer specialized instrumental training.
It is a great learning experience and even more so a highly enjoyable location for all music lovers.
“These concert series are for students and teachers alike, they are made to introduce different music and genres…” said George Svobada, coordinator of the program.
During the semester Svobada invites many guests to the Mesa Music Recital to perform for the students along with other major duties. Tom Griesgraber was one of these guests.
As a graduate from Berkley College of Music, Tom Griesgraber is a perfect example of an experienced, creative, and even more so determined mind. He is a music major that enjoys performing jazz, rock, and classical pieces using the guitar. Through a lot of time and practice Tom has been able to master the newly invented chapman stick.
For those unaware of what a chapman stick is, it is a string instrument with a guitar-like neck, consisting of 12 strings, four separate pedals and one central pedal containing more special effects that coexist with the electric part of the instrument. Six base strings are tuned in fifths and six guitar strings are tuned in fourths.
The 12 strings are tapped rather than strummed to emit the intended notes. The frets are slightly wider compared to those on guitars. Musician Emmett Chapman developed the chapman stick in the early 1970’s.
During the music recital on Sept. 14, Griesgraber played a piece he wrote titled Victor’s Chase which contained a storyline. Griesgraber described the self-composed piece of music as “gothic.”
The piece began morbidly at a low hum, with a steady pace. It later progressed to a more invigorating, upbeat, and exciting solo, followed by a heavy bass pattern later evolving into a mixture of both smooth and increasingly fast notes. Finally the song ended with a soothing violin whisper.
Within the span of an hour, students are granted the opportunity to expand their knowledge of music and instruments. All questions are welcomed and answered to the best of the speaker’s ability. The program is enjoyable to the students and it gives them the opportunity to learn the latest tips and tricks to become a professional musician.
“I love Recital hour and it’s cool to hear someone who actually knows how to play stick,” said sophomore Kelly Stafford after hearing Griesgraber at the recital.
Tom Griesgraber is one of numerous performers who instruct young students to think with a more creative mind. Other students attend the hourly music recital simply because they find it entertaining.
“I’m not even in the class and it’s pretty cool,” said Jon Martinez.