Health fair provides useful resources

Students gathered next to the LRC in order to participate in the Health Fair provided by Student Health Services. There were various types of booths that offered information about topics ranging from sexual, spiritual and physical health, and even dental insurance plans for community college students and their families.

The most attention-grabbing activity in the health fair was the rock climbing wall. Although it appears fairly easy to climb the wall, this activity actually is quite a workout. It was provided in order to help students cope with stress due to taking difficult classes. Because exercise is an excellent form to relieve all the pent up tension that college students tend to have, having the rock climbing wall was a great addition to the fair. There was an obstacle course where people were able to compete with friends and other students to get their blood pumping. It all got people involved with school activities and even motivated some to try something new.

In order to prepare students for possible future emergencies, there were booths such as the Question Persuade Refer Suicide Prevention and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation stations. In these 10-15 minute sessions, students obtained valuable information that could save someone’s life. According to San Diego Project Heart Beat: “ the leading cause of death in the United States is cardiovascular disease.” For this reason, the have started the program in which they endeavor to “make AEDs ( automated external defibrillator) as accessible as fire extinguishers.” Because of the high rates of cardiovascular disease, AEDs are accessible in public places. In this session, students learned how to use these devices as well as learn how to perform CPR without the oral part of the process.  From learning how to speak to a suicidal person to having hands-on training practicing CPR, the students who participated in these sessions benefitted from these tips. As a bonus, people who participated received vouchers to eat  food from 2 catering companies.

Another feature was the clinic booth in which they offered free screenings, blood pressure, blood sugar, and visual acuity tests; there were also free flu shots available.

During the health fair, they offered information about all the different types of contraceptives ranging from male and female condoms to hormonal forms to avoid pregnancy. According to Contraceptive Awareness Advisor Jessica Gonzalez, the most common form of contraceptive is the withdrawal method, also known as “pulling out.” This is not recommended because of it’s lack of effectiveness; there is a high percent chance of pregnancy if using this method as opposed to using the male condom. Another common type of contraceptive is the Plan B; it is effective up until the female overuses this pill. Like all contraceptives, there is no guarantee of avoiding pregnancy or sexually transmitted Diseases. Abstinence is the only safe way to evade pregnancy and STDs. Although many are not sexually active, this booth is a great source of information for future escapades. Some forms of 100 percent effective contraceptives include erotic fantasies, manual genital stimulation with no intercourse, “dry humping,” and masturbation. As long as the sperm does not come into contact with the vaginal area, there is absolutely no chance of pregnancy. One surprising fact is that women can actually orgasm through kissing and even exercising.

The health fair is only one of the activities provided for students through the health fee that everyone pays at the beginning of the year. With valuable information and entertainment, this fair is a yearly occurrence.