New Exclusive Fitness Center

The new exercise science center will be opening February 29th

After years of construction, Mesa College is finally opening its brand new state of the art fitness center, tentatively on Monday, February 29th. Mesa College is rapidly expanding and building new infrastructures. The construction following the fitness center is the new culinary department, the cafeteria, and the bookstore. The expected time of completion would be in fall 2016.

The new fitness facility will have a variety of brand new equipment ranging from brands such as Life-Fitness, Hammer-Strength, and Kaiser Bikes for the spin room.

“The facility is a huge upgrade from what we currently have. We are servicing 21 different sports teams, it’s important to have a state of the art training facility”, states Kevin Hazlett, the department chair of exercise science, dance, and athletics.

There will be two weight rooms and an upper balcony.

The first room would be a larger athletic room designed for athletes. This room will house primarily the Olympic and power-lifting equipment. For students who like the conventional style of weight lifting, the first room would be ideal. It comes with the basic bench press, squat rack, and more. The movements associated with the bench press and the squat racks are the most basic but most rewarding.

The second room, will have Olympic and Life-Fitness equipment for student usage. Majority of the cardiovascular equipment will be placed in this room. It is an ideal room for students who are more focused on a chiseled physique and concentrated exercises.

The upper balcony is an open room that will be used for stretching, TRX, dumbbells, bosu balls, and more cardio. This open room will also be available for dance performances as well. The department of exercise science is trying to develop more curriculums to follow trends.

However, both of the weight rooms can be used by students. Students can expect to work out in a room with the schools colors and logos.

“It’s a great opportunity for faculty and students. It’ll provide access to new equipment, a bigger facility but more importantly, access to more classes. Access to those classes for incoming students are crucial for the success of this campus”, states Rosario, a student veteran who is studying history.

Unfortunately, the new fitness center will only be open for students enrolled in any Weight, Spin, Pilates, Aerobics, or Yoga classes.

“Students can only attend for the time that they are enrolled for. At the present time, it will not be an open gym, like 24hr Fitness, San Diego State, or UC San Diego. It is not our rules, it’s the law, it’s a long process; it has to go through a number of different channels.” states, Bautista, a professor in the exercise science and health department.

However, the good news is that the staff and faculty of the exercise science and health department are in the process of providing students access to the facility. The goal of the exercise science department is to push for change by the spring of 2017.

If everything goes according to plan, students and faculty could possibly have access to the facility without enrolling in any courses related. Mesa College could be looking at a very similar model to that of, San Diego State University’s recreation center, 24hr Fitness, and UC San Diego’s recreation center more on an hourly basis.