Buy insurance – or go to jail

Buy insurance - or go to jail

The “Affordable Care Act,” also known as “Obamacare,” has rolled out and is an unmitigated disaster.

More people have had their insurance cancelled than have enrolled in the federal insurance exchange. We’ve all heard the horror stories of the effects that Obamacare has had on the very people it was supposedly designed to help.

This bill was well-intentioned, but the voting and implementation were rushed and amateurish. This is Obama’s signature piece of legislation, and it lies in tatters, much like the rest of his second-term agenda. Since he staked so much on the success of Obamacare, President Obama has lost much credibility.

Most of the politicians who voted for it, such as Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, never read the bill.

”You have to pass it to read what’s in it,” Pelosi actually said.

Pass a bill that accounts for 30% of the economy without reading it? This is the same woman who exempted herself and her staff from Obamacare. This begs the question: Why is it acceptable for normal Americans but not for politicians and their staffs?

Remember when Obama said, “If you like your plan, you can keep it”? That was untruthful, to say the least. Millions of Americans have had their health plans cancelled because they didn’t meet the “minimum requirements” mandated by the ACA. PolitiFact named it their “lie of the year” for 2013.

Obama promised that he would decrease the insurance premium for families an average of $2,500 per year. That average has actually increased about $2,500 per year. This is another unfulfilled promise that was made to the American people. Can you afford another $2,500 per year for health insurance?

These people couldn’t even design a website that works properly. When healthcare.gov launched, people reported not being able to navigate the site, and even when they called, they were placed on hold for hours and couldn’t sign up. The security for the website is laughable at best. Would you trust your complete medical history with a website that has no security?

Obamacare is a Ponzi scheme, and nothing more. The architects of the bill will never admit it, but the sole reason that this law came about is for young and healthy people to subsidize the cost of health care for older Americans. Medicare cannot stay solvent if elderly people can’t pay their health costs. Obamacare simply shifts the burden to younger people, who, in most cases, don’t even need insurance to begin with. It’s a redistribution of wealth. It’s taxation by other means.

And spare me the “You never know what’s going to happen; you need insurance” argument. I could get drunk, fall down and hurt myself tonight. I feel confident in saying that will not happen.

Yet, even the young and healthy people who don’t need or want insurance are threatened with fines if they don’t sign up for Obamacare.  People who, on religious grounds, object to their tax dollars being used for birth control and abortions are basically told, “Too bad.” If people refuse to sign up or pay the fine for refusal, they are threatened with jail time.

Is this where we are in America? Buy insurance or go to jail? Is this the result of this “enlightened” and “intellectual” administration?

View Comments (1)
$320
$500

Josh Champlin
Josh Champlin, Sports Editor
Originally from Lyons, Michigan, I have lived all over the US, and have traveled extensively. I worked as the sports editor for the Mesa Press last semester, and will be concentrating on writing for the upcoming term. I am a journalism major, and enjoy reading, writing, politics, history, and sports, especially Michigan football and basketball, the Detroit Tigers, and the Detroit Red Wings.
$320
$500

• E

EveFeb 9, 2014 at 8:40 am

I think Obamacare is a ridiculous law. What about people who don’t believe in Western medicine. Although, I think emergency care has it’s place for the most part I do not agree with the healthcare system, and I am opposed to supporting this law.

Reply