Ronda Rousey’s Bad Sportsmanship

MCT
Ronda Rousey Photo Credit: MCT Campus

On Saturday, Nov. 14 in Melbourne Australia, the former UFC bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey was defeated by the boxing and now UFC champion Holly Holm.

The losing nor the winning was what captured people’s attention, well Rousey’s loss was a big deal and made huge headlines. However, Rousey’s lack of good sportsmanship is what made a lot of people and more importantly a lot of her fans feel a certain way about her and not in a good way.

People have been captivated by Rousey because of the way she has carried herself after all this success that she began to have once entering the women’s division of the UFC.

She has stayed the same all throughout. If you are a big fan of Rousey, you’d know she has been through a lot of hardship growing up. From having her father end his own life to her being homeless for a while because she couldn’t make ends meet.

It’s a tough life out there, everyone knows that. When people that you look up to have also been through things that you have, it somehow makes things a little better and gives people hope that one day everything will be ok. The fact that even though she has been through all those terrible things, she has managed to stay grounded and keep her head up and be humble, or so her fans thought.

Perhaps a lot of them still believe that but a lot of them are now on the fence after her reaction to her loss to Holm. This is especially since Holm is one of the most deserving and humble people one could ever hope to meet. Not to mention how greatly talented she is as an athlete.

This doubt in Rousey started when she began to promote the fight. She came across as very cocky and arrogant as she kept saying that she would win the fight as she has continued to win for a while, which is why she was undefeated, until Holm came her way.

Holm was the complete opposite than Rousey prior to the fight. She always hinted and talked about Rousey’s great fighting abilities and that she deserved all she has received because she has done so much for women in the male dominated sport. She’s actually quite positive about Rousey. And after the fight, she went over to Rousey to congratulate her on her amazing career but Rousey turned away and refused to acknowledge her. She was too ashamed of losing her title.

Her reaction was so disrespectful and rude and in very ill taste. It was bad sportsmanship on her part. It showed a different side of Rousey and it didn’t sit well with people and her fans.

Her attitude needed to be something different, like a congratulations towards Holm, or an acknowledgement of her talents; she is the first person to hold a championship title in both boxing and UFC. No one has ever achieved such a milestone.

Holm deserved that infamous win that will go down in history for those two major reasons, beating Rousey and holding two different titles.