2007 Fall Olympian Sport Preview

2007 Fall Olympian Sport Preview

2007 Football
Head Coach: Matt Kofler (2nd year)
Last Year’s Record: 2-8
This Year’s Record: 2-0
Key Returners: QB Robert Sagerian, OL Matt Passwaters, David Norman, Elijah Munoz, Chris Johnson, LB Micah Madlock, Dorian Herrod, DE Nate Passwaters, and Xavier Weathersby.
Key Freshman: TE Theo Sharp, RB Corey Thompson, Zay Shepherd, S Gui Ricciardulli, Winn McAloney, DL Jordan Topp, and OLB Mike Maracle.
Season Outlook: “Every time a new season starts you have to be optimistic. We have had a good start but it was a necessary performance. It’s just a start, we have to put that behind us now and we have to move on. We have to treat each game like a big game.”
Key to Success: “We have to have intensity week in and week out. We have to stay focused. Our highs can’t be to high, and our lows can’t be to low.”
Next Game: September 29 against San Bernardino College at Mesa College

2007 Womens Water Polo
Head Coach: Jim Fegan (10th year)
Last Year’s Record: 17-10 back-to-back Conference Champions
This Year’s Record: 1-0
Key Returners: Olivia Grice and Coral Kubala
Key freshman: Elyse Dayrit, Tiffany Coles (transfer from CSULB), Morgan Kelley, and Nicole Zambruski (Transfer from Sonoma State).
Season Outlook: “Our goal is to win the another Championship. This is our biggest team ever with 19 players and 17 of which are freshman. They need to all learn to play in the same system and play together.”
Key to Success: “Team Chemistry has been great over the last couple of seasons. Right now the team is headed into the right direction. Hard work with this team’s talent will help this season. We have a long way to go.”
Next Game: September 20 against Grossmont College at Mesa College

2007 Mens Cross Country
Head Coach: Thom Hunt (3rd year)
Last Year’s Record: Pacific Coast Conference Champions scoring 18 points for first. Runner-up in the Southern California Championships behind San Bernardino Valley. Fourth at the State Championships.
Key Returners: Daniel Gonia, Dave Edwards, and Jonathon Miller.
Key freshman: Bernardo Bahena, Mike Denman, and Barrett Tilley.
Season Outlook: “Currently ranked #3 in the state rankings. Should be competitive for the conference, Southern California and State titles.”
Key to Success: “The success of the freshman. The new class is deep in talent and if they all make the adjustment to running at the collegiate level then the team should be very successful. The top two athletes, David Gonia and Dave Edwards should both be near the top of the state individually.”
Next Meet: Stanford Invitational, September 29 in Palo Alto

2007 Womens Cross Country
Head Coach: Angie Fitzpatrick (2nd year)
Last Year’s Record: Finished 4th in Conference, qualified the entire team for the Southern California Regional meet, and qualified 1 athlete (Christa Agustin) for State.
Key Returners: Erika Julien, Heather Gardner, Debbie Johnson, Joy Smith (Christa Agustin is red shirting).
Key freshman: Samantha Espindola, Chelsea Hill, and Summer Dunsmore.
Season Outlook: “This season will produce much better results than last year. All of my returners have come into this season in good shape and we were able to solidify several talented freshman. I hope to see a 2nd place finish at conference, a great finish at Regionals, and want to qualify the entire team to State.”
Key to Success: “My key for success is to have fun and to create good relationships with all of my athletes. Of course hard workouts come into play, however, if the athletes don’t predominantly enjoy what they are doing, I wouldn’t have a team.”
Next Meet: Golden West Invitational, September 22 in Huntington Beach

2007 Mens Water Polo
Head Coach: Nathan Resch (1st year)
Key Returners: Co-Captains Thomas Stewart and Jay Taylor
Key freshman: Yegor Borisenko, Nick Lockhart, JK Barnes, Obed Davila.
Season Outlook: “The new talent on board for 2007 makes Mesa a team to watch this season.”
Key to Success: “Executing team defensive strategy which feeds counter attack opportunities. Involving all players on offense in a balanced, aggressive but patient attack. Being in great condition to play a lot of minutes.”

2007 Womens Volleyball
Head Coach: Kim Lester (6th year)
Last Year’s Record: 24-5 (12-0) third straight year to go undefeated in Conference, fourth in state out of 85 teams.
This Season’s Record: 1-1
Key Returners: Team Captains Bobby Jo Stall, Alyssa Factuar, and Ashton O’Halloran. Jessica LaScola, Anne Vaughan, and Joy Tili.
Key freshman: Brittany Moss and Brittany Collins.
Season Outlook: “We should be very good again. We should dominate in conference again and are looking to make the playoffs and strive to get into the state championship. We have very strong players with even stronger personalities. If we can gel as a team and strive to meet our goals we will do very well.”
Keys to Success: “Play together as a team, get our middle blockers stronger and more attempts, play team defense and be ready at all times. Pass well in serve-receive so we can run a strong offense.”
Next Game: September 20 against San Joaquin Delta College at Mesa College

2007 Womens Soccer
Head Coach: Todd Curran (10th year)
Last Year’s Record: 14-6-3
This Year’s Record: 3-0
Key Returners: Co-Captains Anastasia Nelson and Elizabeth Diaz. Striker Melanie DeSalvo, Defender Leilani Lamchin, and Goalie Crissy Lawson.
Key freshman: Defender Jaclyn Kurtela and Midfielders Emily Jenkins and Talor Babyak.
Season Outlook: “Look to be the top of the Conference, and hopefully win a Championship. Every game is huge; we now have nine teams in the Conference. We have a great returning core and we our looking forward to rebounding after last year.”
Key to Success: “We have to stay healthy. Our starting 11 are fantastic. If we stay healthy we won’t falter. Goalkeeper Crissy Lawson has already played fantastic, along with our defense. We have to stay consistent and play the same every game.”
Next Game: September 19 against San Diego Miramar College at Miramar College