Seasonal events in San Diego

Seasonal events in San Diego

This holiday season, San Diego has so much to offer locals and tourist. Whether you are looking for a night out or a family activity there is something for everyone.

An event for the 21 and up crowd is Big Night San Diego at the Sheraton Hotel. In its sixth year it features an endless full bar, sixteen dance floors, the hottest DJ’s in San Diego, fireworks, amazing food, and party favors. Tickets cost $110 for general admission and $170 for the VIP package. Come prepared to ring in the New Year on December 31 from 9pm until 2am.

With the gift season in full swing, why not take in a day of shopping? San Diego has some of the finest shopping around. With malls like Fashion Valley, Mission Valley and University Town Center finding the perfect gift will not be a problem. Fashion Valley features a blend of luxury stores like Juicy Couture, Jimmy Choo, and Betsy Johnson and even less expensive stores like Hollister, American Apparel, and Abercrombie. Mission Valley and UTC also feature more budget friendly stores.

For the family, Ice Skating at Horton Plaza is in full swing. Bundles up the kids and plan to sip hot chocolate and feel charitable because all proceeds from the skating rink will benefit Children’s Hospital. Prices are $12 for adults and $10 for children, with skate renting included for children 12 and under.

Another fun thing for families to do is go sightseeing and take in the lights in San Diego. Everyone loves Christmas lights and its fun for the whole family. Neighborhoods to check out are Clairemont, La Mesa, El Cajon, and Poway.

For those who love to decorate their houses with the best holiday decorations head to City Lights. The store is packed with rooms of ornaments, Christmas trees, nativity sets, and a huge selection of collectables to make the biggest city display. City Lights is located at 1212 Knoxville St. right by the 5 and Mission Bay.

What are the holidays without a parade? This year Americas largest balloon parade returns on December 27th presented by the San Diego County Credit Union. The theme this year is “Groovin’ to the 70s”. Randy Jones, Padre alumni will be the grand marshal this year. Expect to see your kids favorite cartoon stars like Bob the Builder, Hello Kitty and Cat in the Hat. Other events included are the Bumble Bee Foods 5K Run and Amtrak Family Festival.

For the beach and boat lover in the family, there’s the 37th annual San Diego Bay Parade of Lights. This year’s theme is Rock and Roll Around the Bay. The event is being held Sunday, Dec. 14 and Sunday, Dec. 21 from 5:30pm until 9:00pm.

Sadly this year the Festival of Lights at the Wild Animal Park will be its 20th and last. The event will be moved next year to the San Diego Zoo and be renamed Jungle Bells. Visitors can still experience new holiday features like new animal light structures that the whole family can enjoy. Children can also visit Santa in the Discovery Station on December 13-23, from 5-9pm. During its last year join the family atmosphere and lights at the Wild Animal Park.

No matter what you like to do there is something for you in San Diego. Kid-friendly and adult events are being held all over town.